got ethical husbandry?

Need tips for zoas and red halymenia

The first addition to my tank was a frag of about 12 ployps of purple zoa. It quickly went from 12 to close to 30 ployp in about 2 months. But last week some time almost all the ployps except for 5 new babies growing down the side of the plug closed. For the whole week they remained closed but today a few ployps opened up. The majority is still closed and some looked like they were on the verge of melting away.

Halfway through the week I moved them to a lower light area and did a large water change.

Also, I recently got some red dragon breathe and rubber banded it to some small rock. It has slowly lost its color and has been coming loose from the rock. I was told high light intensity is what gave it red/orange color but now have read that it does better in lower light. Anyone else keeping red halymenia have some placement tips? Really hoping I don't lose all of this macro cause it added so much color and movement to the tank.

wow, so your zoas doubled in size in just two months when things were good? I wish I got that kind of growth. i wish i knew more about the situation before suggesting anything. i hope things smooth out for you!

Maybe you had an all swing?

Also, sometimes people change water in effort to address not changing water in a while. Just make sure you don't change TOO much water. Not could be the case that a tank low in calcium and alk can quickly be flipped to the other extreme of calcium and alk and make the problem worse.

So as they say, slow and steady.

Alk swing.
Once I also had zoa pox also.
Make sure to periodically blast polyps with a turkey baster.

Sometimes they get algae film on them or tissue/gunk that aggravated them from opening.

Similarly aiptasia can also bother them to keep the polyps closed.

I haven't tested it lately, my test kit is somewhere in one of the boxes we haven't unpacked after moving, but even then I just had the API test kit and that doesn't test for calc or alk. I usually 2-3 gallons weekly but missed a water change. The big water change was 5 gallons.. thanks for the tips. I definitely need to dig my test kit out of the moving boxes.

Back