Neptune Aquatics

Need to borrow a chiller ASAP!

I'm new to this hobby and this forum so I'm not sure if this is the right section.

I will need to chill my tank water starting tomorrow or Wednesday. I keep my tank in north San Jose at my shop. I am in the process of getting my air conditioning installed but it won't be operational for a couple of weeks. The forecast is calling for much higher temperatures over the next couple of days and I don't have any way to keep the tank cool. It's a nice day today and the tank is already at 79 degrees.

Once my AC is working in the shop I'll be able to keep the room temperature steady. I think my need for the chiller is only temporary but I definitely need one right away. I'm about to start freezing two liter bottles of water to rotate in my sump or something I don't know. I just got my tank in October last year so I've been ok with just keeping the heater on through the winter but I haven't had to deal with warm temps yet. I've never had a chiller and I don't know anything about them. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Marc

Dont stress.

I have no air conditioning in my house. Ive been absolutely fine during those 100 F degree days using one thing. Fans blowing across the water help big time. When it was 98 degrees in my apartment, my tank was at 80 degrees.

There was a day where I forgot to turn the fans on for a few hours. Came home and my tank was 83 F. Acropora, anemone, ricordea, zoas, fish all fine.

Ever been to Aquatic Collection or Neptunes during those 90-100F days in summer? They got big fans blowing across the water. Evaporative cooling does wonders.

Just stick a big fan on t and have it blowing on the water. You will lose more freshwater through evaporation but it will cool your tank.

Back up plan if the fans don't work (power outtage or something) is I would freeze a couple water bottles and have them ready to stick in my tank but I've never had to do it.

Last edited:
The frozen bottles are nearly useless compared to a fan. Things to use w the fan are an auto top off, and a temp controller (such as reef keeper lite or ranco)to turn fan on and off as needed.

Your 120 also has a decent volume of water in it for stabilizing the temps. Get some fans on it like others recommended. If it really gets bad, hit me up. I've got a Teco 1/5 hp in storage.

I used two inexpensive, high speed fans mounted in my sump above my return chamber to cool our tank in the hot weather. They were turned on and off by our Apex controller, but you can get by with a bit of that done manually as well. Just make sure you have a top-off mechanism to handle the extra evaporation, as it's the evaporation which provides the cooling from the fans.

Back