Neptune Aquatics

New to Reefing and all set to start the journey

Ayman

Supporting Member
Hi All

I am Ayman, and I am just starting my journey in reefing. Thanks to Thomas DiRocco for getting me hooked hahah.
I have experience with freshwater setups and upkeep, but I am all new to the reefing world. I spent last month looking for a tank, and now, finally, I got one-second hand to get me started.
I will probable ask alot of questions so any help and guidance is greatly appreciated

Tank: 44Gal total water volume including Sump. Tank alone is about 34Gal.

Light: ReefLED 90 LED Light Fixture

Pump: Simplicity 1000 DC Pump

water: AQUATICLIFE RO Buddie 3-Stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System, RO Unit 50 GPD. not yet set up

Rock: Got used live rock that has been sitting for a while previous reefer said about 6 months, also noted that there was a bunch of feather duster dead worms on then. question is how should i prep the rocks before i put them into tank?

If your rock is dry, get it into saltwater with a pump to circulate the water. No lights. The water quality will let you know when the rock is ready. You'll probably have to do a few water changes.

If your rock is dry, get it into saltwater with a pump to circulate the water. No lights. The water quality will let you know when the rock is ready. You'll probably have to do a few water changes.
Welcome. Even if it’s live rock. I would still do this. Oh heater too. Feed a hair once in a blue moon if it’s gonna be in a tub for a super long time.

Welcome. Even if it’s live rock. I would still do this. Oh heater too.
For removing nutrients, the heater is a waste of money and resources initially. Once its "cooked", a heater comes into play. If its live rock, absolutely use a heater.

I would give it a few weeks, change the water, then start testing for the ammonia cycle:

Welcome. If it’s live rock, I would consider letting it dry in the sun for a few days . You don’t want to start a new tank inheriting pests.

Welcome. If it’s live rock, I would consider letting it dry in the sun for a few days . You don’t want to start a new tank inheriting pests.
Agree! it was actually out of tank before I got it, was pretty much out in the sun for a while

Also to note, I suggested Ayman use vinegar to clean out the overflows and tank too get rid of any tube worm remnants or anything calcareous. I'll let him post the before and after

Here is the before and after, Vingare made it so much better to scrub.

Question: my live rock has a bunch of worm-looking things should I worry about it?
clean the rocks with a soft brush?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 1.53.52 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 1.53.52 PM.png
    535.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 1.54.07 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 1.54.07 PM.png
    581.1 KB · Views: 53
Damn!
you’re good at that game
that looks almost spanking new

i would knock off any and all of the worm casings off the rocks
if not you may get stabbed by them
and they’re sharp

Got my Aquatic Life RO Buddie Plus DI three Stage Reverse Osmosis Deionization Unit 50 GPD installed today.

It took me a couple of hours to figure out my under sink fouset connection. Luckily found exactly what I needed to get the job done from Home Depot!

I am planning on starting to add water to the tank tomorrow, any tips are appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5182.jpeg
    IMG_5182.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5181.jpeg
    IMG_5181.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 54
Back