Cali Kid Corals

New wireless protocol from Neptune

I just read that Neptune is working on a universal wireless protocol called IOA (Internet of Aquariums).

Anyone know if it's like an ad-hoc network or something different all together?

Wondering if this will allow gadgets that use wifi to communicate to be controlled by Apex. Eg the newer AI lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just read that Neptune is working on a universal wireless protocol called IOA (Internet of Aquariums).

Anyone know if it's like an ad-hoc network or something different all together?

Wondering if this will allow gadgets that use wifi to communicate to be controlled by Apex. Eg the newer AI lights.

Vincent,

So this is what I have been able to find out in regard to your question, but this is the only info that they will give me at this time....

It's not just a wireless protocol - it's a network communications - would work over both the wireless and wired network, although most devices like lighting systems would use wireless. Terence has posted some high-level descriptions Here (3/4 the way down the post)

Thanks Jon.

That post still doesn't give a whole lot of info but it's nice to know that they are working towards unifying the controls.

AI has always seemed a little weird. They release a new light, Hydra. Then release the Director to control it but dumps the whole system when they released the Prime and now they flagship Hydra systems don't use director at all.

Won't be getting the HD lights anytime soon so only plus for me would be to control the Primes from Apex too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They are not at the moment. Hopefully AI can get together with Neptune and figure it out. Prime was the 1st light from AI to use the new wifi connection. So presumably if AI shares their protocol, Primes will be Apex ready.

Yes this is true...but I think now the Echotech & AI are under the same umbrella company they are not wanting to give Neptune access to their lights & new pumps as they are going towards the controller market....which is real sad as I think they both should play well in the sandbox and let us consumers decide which avenue we want to go to control our equipment with...but that is my 2cents

I did not know that Ecotech/AI are going to go into the controller market. Mixed feelings about that. Wonder if Neptune will start making lights!?! They make almost everything else!

This is what looks to be their approach with the Director and the reeflink (this is not posted but what I think is coming down the road) ....and why they are dragging their feet on giving Neptune the info to make some of their products work...example would be the Vectra return pumps as they run on a controller almost identical as the vortech powerheads, yet they don't have the ability to work with the WXM...

From the sound of how they're coining it, I think they're using the Internet of Things protocol which is basically using the cloud for all device communication with everything containerized and/or agnostic.

It's something that my team at Netflix is working on as well. :)

Back