Neptune Aquatics

Nooo! My zoas are dying! D:

In my RSM all of my zoas are retracting and growing a purple/red slime over them. This is just beginning so I'm hoping I can stop it now. It's attacking every single colony in the tank except for my two favorite colonies. What is causing this and what can I do to stop it?

Luckily I moved my Purple Hornets, my Red Hornets and my Aztec Sundials to my BioCube 29 HQI two month ago and they're having fun in the sun of the metal halide. 8)

All of the other corals in the tank are perfectly find and have no problems. I'm gonna frag a few healthy polyps off each colony (which will go in my BioCube 14) in case I lose the colonies.

You have been having all kind of issues over last few month with that tank.... same tank with algae right? Can you pull them out n do a lugols. Dip???

eldiablosrt8 said:
You have been having all kind of issues over last few month with that tank.... same tank with algae right? Can you pull them out n do a lugols. Dip???

Yes it's the same tank. I've seen the same issue on Nano-Reef.com where people have had purple/red slimy algae growing on their zoas, but I forget the name of the algae. All of the colonies are growing on large pieces of the rock structure which have other corals on them too, so I won't be able to take them out.

Its cyanobacteria which is the end result in improper husbandry techniques. Export more water and input less feed. This is reefing 101.

eldiablosrt8 said:

Lugols is not the solution for cyanobacteria. They are not sick, they are reacting to the cyanobacteria. Remove the cyanobacteria, they will perk up.

I know the cyano wont be affected by lugols but he has had many algae issues besides this and he says his parameters r all good. But I agree with you on husbandry issues. Been there before

I have cyanobacteria medication that I've used before and it worked great for the tank. I was told before that while it will kill the cyano, it doesn't attack the problem. Along with the medication I'll cut down feedings and do more frequent water changes.

Back