Neptune Aquatics

Old icecap ballasts DE to SE

I was wondering about swtiching back to my radiums SE. I sold my other icecaps that were connected to them. Now I have two 250 watt older icecaps powering two DE 250's. Based on the wiring can't I just cut the wires from the pendant and hook it up to the SE? It seems easy but for some reason there has to be a catch? Please help.

I was under the impression that any de ballast will fire a se bulb of the same wattage.. Some ballasts will draw much more power though.. Some of the 250w de ballasts use upwards of 350watts reducing your se bulbs life but giving you some impressive output..

Well the older icecaps are still electronic no? In which case its not a true HQI ballast which are the ones that fshnfst is alluding to that pull way more power than their rated bit.

As to hooking them up there's really nothing fundamentally different between DE & SE bulbs other than SE bulbs have a glass shield around them and DE bulbs don't (other minor differences but they're the same thing). Your SE socket should have two wires, well those two wires as just like the two wires that come from the DE bulb holder, simply hook the same wires up to it.

I have the old 150w's and use them back and forth between SE and DE pendants :) 3 wire, right?

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=4370.msg53034#msg53034 date=1219190115]
I have the old 150w's and use them back and forth between SE and DE pendants :) 3 wire, right?
[/quote]

Yes, 3 wires. Just wanted to be safe rather than split the wire then find out it didn't work. Thanks again for all the support. I virtually can ask anything on this forum and get fast responses. :)

The beauty of having multiple monitors is you can devote part of one for BAR's forum :D

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=4370.msg53044#msg53044 date=1219191761]
The beauty of having multiple monitors is you can devote part of one for BAR's forum :D
[/quote]

Ha,ha,ha :)

Here's a pic of Gresham's office, for those that haven't been there :D

NORADwarroom.jpg

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=4370.msg53095#msg53095 date=1219210742]
Here's a pic of Gresham's office, for those that haven't been there :D

NORADwarroom.jpg

[/quote]

This is what I was imagining when he told me he had multiple screens :) ha,ha,ha

You guys should search the forum a bit harder...I do have a thread on multiple monitors.

We needed like a 15 display unit so I was asking some questions :) It's still in the works (ground control for algae 51)

When Gresham doesn't surf the web, he plays Warcraft ;D
http://gizmodo.com/5062237/world-of-warcraft-seems-like-kind-of-a-silly-hobby

Damn that's committable behavior :D

*we need a straight jacket smiley :)*

Back