Jestersix

ONSIGHT - Spineless Marine Life Visual ID Booth @ BAYMAC2011

G

onsight.jpg

• Wondering what that thing is that crawled out of your live rock?
  • How about the thing that you found in the sand yesterday?
  • What is that stuff growing on your powerhead?
    Why is my water green?

Put it in a bag and bring it to the ONSIGHT Spineless Marine Life Visual ID booth

co-hosted by Leslie Harris and Eric Henry
Perhaps they can tell you what it is?

We're putting the call out to hobbyists. stores and importers....Please bring any algae or spineless marine life to BAYMAC even if you know what it is. This way others can see what it is and talk to scientists about them.

A little about Leslie Harris:

Leslie Harris is a certifiable worm obsessive, invert addict, and macro-photographer. Her day job is managing the AHF Polychaete Collection at the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County
, one of the world's largest research collections of preserved worms. Most nights she is either doing consulting work (polychaete identifications & ecology for a variety of studies), her own research, or editing photos. In spare moments she daydreams about travel to weird & wonderful places in search of her favorite inverts. Says Leslie, "I can't get enough of live animals or information about them. I started lurking on underwater photography boards to satisfy my critter craving when I couldn't travel. Then I went to a few aquarium sites & realized that observant reefers were seeing invert behavior & critters unknown to academics. Not being able to keep my mouth shut when it comes to identifications, I soon got roped into moderating the critter ids forums for a number of sites as well as giving talks to reef clubs throughout the country. Now I'm truly hooked! I don't own an aquarium but very much like the fact that all of you do." (Courtesy of Randy Donowitz, Manhattan Reefs).

Eric Henry's bio to follow shortly (Eric is the lead research scientist at Reed Mariculture - he's the resident Phycologist)

If it is still alive by then, I'm going to bring something with a foot that's a tan lump.... I think it might have a digestive tract :D

nudibranch said:
Can I bring a picture of the animal instead?
Odd... I replied to this :(

A picture is fine but it may lack ID points given the perspective. But yah, bring what ever you got :) Spineless of course

tuberider said:
If it is still alive by then, I'm going to bring something with a foot that's a tan lump.... I think it might have a digestive tract :D

Does it just sit at the beach and leave litter everywhere? We got those down here as well.... easy ID... Tourists

They do have a digestive tract, apparently they have to pee everywhere and often.

It is spineless but is it marine life? Im sure it took a global effort to put it together.

Back