Neptune Aquatics

Open Call: DBTC Chair, Interclub Relations Chair, & Graphics Designer

lattehiatus

Past President
BAR is a club run by members for members. We have a great pool of talented individuals here, and there is no limit to how much we could accomplish with more people participating in making the club better!

I need a few energetic members to help in 3 roles:

DBTC Chairperson
- Organize BAR's DBTC program
- Identify areas for improvement and work with the BOD to implement changes
- Act as principal evangelical for the DBTC program and what it stands for

Interclub Relations Chairperson
- Act as primary contact between BAR and other regional reef clubs
- Coordinate activities between BAR and neighboring reef clubs

Graphics Designer

- Design marketing literature (banners, posters, and postcards) to promote the club and club events

FAQ:

1. I don't have too much experience with BAR and/or reefkeeping, can I still volunteer to help?
A: Absolutely! The club is founded on a culture of generosity and paying it forward, so you have the right attitude if you want to help out. You will learn anything that you need to know.

2. I have reservations about making a commitment - will it take a lot of time?
A: While we can't help you with commitment issues, it should be pointed out that all the volunteers in the club have plenty of other obligations such as full-time jobs, family, school, etc. There will always be competing priorities, but at the end of the day the club is only as good as what we put into it. This will not be a massive disruption to your life, and the club will not catastrophically implode if you need to put things off for a few days. ;)

3. It all sounds great! How do I sign up?
A: Awesome! Send a PM to lattehiatus to work out the details.

Well, I sent a PM.

As I have no experience in relation building, I can help out with graphics design. :)

Another new position is available:

S.P.E.A.R. Chair
What is S.P.E.A.R.?
Science & Practical Experiments Applicable to R
eefkeeping

Thales/Rich has constructed a framework for SPEAR, and will work with you to develop the goals and implementation of the program. It will be gratifying to see experiments conducted by members!

Also need another Graphics Designer to create marketing literature. You don't want me creating any more signs for the club! :p

ReefLove said:
Well, I sent a PM.

As I have no experience in relation building, I can help out with graphics design. :)

Just be sure to utilize spell check or get someone to proof your work :)
(GD is a big chunk of my job)

I am setting up a propagation tank and plan to experiment with different lighting regimens (at least T5HO UV and LED UV impacts.

Not sure what type of experiments, but I was/am an electrical/mechanical/optical/software engineer...

I can also help with CAD drawings (Solidworks) and possibly some graphic design. Nothing super fancy design, but can help the primary person in a pinch.

zeroinverse said:
I think GD can be spelled both ways.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphic_design

Thanks for taking a joke down a notch :(

No where in that link does it say "graphics design", nor does any graphic designer I know say they are graphics designers. The "s" was out of place ;)

BAYMAC said:
zeroinverse said:
I think GD can be spelled both ways.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphic_design

Thanks for taking a joke down a notch :(

No where in that link does it say "graphics design", nor does any graphic designer I know say they are graphics designers. The "s" was out of place ;)

Hmmm. I think I sort of do graphics design, with an S.
Meaning, I work on hardware that generates computer images.
:p

I would love to help on SPEAR.
So count me in if you need assistant volunteers.
But I cannot commit enough time to chair something like that.

rygh said:
I would love to help on SPEAR.
So count me in if you need assistant volunteers.
But I cannot commit enough time to chair something like that.

Ditto for me. Hugely interested, but can't commit to doing a proper job.

Felicia, that would be awesome! I expect Rich would be pleased to work with someone with extensive scientific background.

rygh and bondolo, would you be interested in running some of the experiments or coaching during the experimental design phase?

lattehiatus said:
Felicia, that would be awesome! I expect Rich would be pleased to work with someone with extensive scientific background.

rygh and bondolo, would you be interested in running some of the experiments or coaching during the experimental design phase?
Great! This sounds like a really fun program and I'd love to have the opportunity to use my scientific research background for reef related experiments. I would definitely appreciate help from anyone interested. I'll speak with Rich about the framework and then hopefully rygh and bondolo and anyone else interested can help us get this up and running.

I'd be happy to get involved with SPEAR. Will it be anything like SHIELD?

Seriously, my time is already pretty maxed out...though I'd be glad to help!

Back