Our mission

Ozone reactor (DIY)

richiev

Supporting Member
Since there doesn't seem to be much in the way of ozone equipment for sale in the club (previous LF ozone generator thread) I bought a cheap Weipro ozone generator to test. My skimmer isn't ozone compatible, but I gave it a trial run. I'm now giving it a go at building an ozone reactor following what someone did on humblefish. Creating a thread in case others want to coordinate.

Step 1: bought 3ft of 4in pipe at Ace Hardware

PXL_20240303_171222701.jpg

Step 2: designing some fittings. Plan is to use one of the cheap jebao pumps I have to power this. My initial expectation is to put the pump inside similar to how a lot of skimmers work. I'm not sure if that's unsafe because of the ozone though

Autodesk_Fusion_Personal__Not_for_Commercial_Use_.png

Following. Are you going to use the bio-bale? I was thinking it probably doesn't matter much as the mixing mostly happens at the point of aspiration.
I was thinking of doing so because I was trying to avoid having to worry about the bubbles being well distributed. I didn't want to have to start dealing with creating a bubble plate like in a skimmer. I figured tossing something in there would help spread the bubbles out and help mix. Also seems like all the designs of ones you can buy have some stuff like that as well, but maybe everyone's just ripping each others' designs off.

However, thinking it over more, wouldn't some standard aquarium sponge material be even better? In theory the ozone should ensure nothing is growing in the sponge and if some gunk got in, in theory it'd also get broken down by the ozone.

I'm thinking it'd be nice to do something like:

Code:
 =================
|   ======         |
| |       | cccccc |
          | carbon |
          | cccccc |
          | ssssss |
          | ssssss |
          | ssssss |
          | sponge |
          | ssssss |
          | ssssss |
          | ssssss |
          |        |
          |   ||   |
          |  pump  |
          ----------

Shove a sponge in there. Put a bag of carbon on top. Have the top be able to screw off. Though I'm sure I'll get lazy and never change the carbon, so maybe shouldn't put that in there.

Apparently tpu (rubber) is ozone resistant. That's interesting because maybe I can make the lid and base out of that and avoid having to use glue or trying to get threads to work well. I was going to just use standard pipe fittings but they didn't have ones that fit on this pipe at Ace.

Apparently tpu (rubber) is ozone resistant. That's interesting because maybe I can make the lid and base out of that and avoid having to use glue or trying to get threads to work well. I was going to just use standard pipe fittings but they didn't have ones that fit on this pipe at Ace.
I have a machine that 3d prints even the softest tpu materials. Let me know if I can help out at all. I'm very interested to follow your trail if this works out.

I have a Bambu P1s and a couple high speed tpus I've been using for frag racks. Thanks for the offer!
I have a couple x1c. Without an enclosure, the tpu is easier to use.

Flexibility will probably make it easier to clean too. Maybe a series of stacking plates that can be lifted out (like a TLF media reactor?)

Back