Reef nutrition

Pair of Blennies?

Ever since my Kole tang passed, there's been a gradual increase in green, leafy algae on the rocks so I'd like to get at least 2 blennies to start munching on it. I thought it would be nice to get a pair since I like the idea of having pairs of fish living in harmony. Now I'm not sure if Blennies pair up in aquariums, or if you can get a pair, mated or not. Even just non-fighting ones would be fine. Or I was also thinking of getting 2 different kinds and add them both at the same time so they hopefully wouldn't fight. My tank is 180 gal. with adequate rockwork.

Has anyone had experience with blenny pairs, or at least 2 of the same kind getting along? The blennies I'm considering are
Bi-color
Black Sailfin Blenny
Black Combtooth Blenny
Midas Blenny
Starry Blenny
any other recommendations?

I have a tailspot blenny already and he's super cool, otherwise I'd get that one.

Tail spots are really neat, never had two in a tank together, it might work in your case since you're not exactly dealing with a goldfish bowl.

Going on Jeremy's recommendation; I had a pair of tail spot blennies (E. stigmatura) in a 33g before, and it was no problem. They were full sized, and courting one another regularly. I don't think you will have a problem in a 180g.

I'd like to try something other than tailspots, thinking 2 bi-colors or 1 bicolor & 1 other blenny. Not sure how territorial they are but with 180 gallons maybe it's large enough for 2 different ones.

Had my tailspot for a while. Added a lawnmower recently. Tailspot, albeit smaller, is king. Lawnmower holds his ground a bit more now.

I have a pair of Tailspots and a Klausowitz (? sp) blenny in my 150 - they posture a bit and the Klaus will chase the tailspots, but there is plenty of room to avid problems. Two tailspots are pretty cool - the courting activity is fun to watch.

You're making me think of getting a pair of Tailspots- that would be 3 overall (1 in frag, 2 in display), but they are cool fish and worth watching.

CookieJar said:
I'd like to try something other than tailspots, thinking 2 bi-colors or 1 bicolor & 1 other blenny. Not sure how territorial they are but with 180 gallons maybe it's large enough for 2 different ones.

Bicolors are *****s to reach other. They tend to be rather mean to each other. IN fact most blennies won't hang with other blennies. Tailspots will work in small groups *if* you get them in small groups. I would not go buy single individuals trying to make a pair or colony. FWIW 180g isn't that large considering where they come from (the ocean). We just think of it as large.

Echoing Gresh's comments about tailspots. I introduced a male and a female into my 180 a couple years ago and while they were OK at first, one started beating up on the other (forget which one) and I ended up with only one. I'd avoid two of those as they can become highly aggressive.

Back