got ethical husbandry?

Plans for a (small) DIY stand?

IOnceWasLegend

Frag Swap Coordinator
BOD
My wife and I are interested in getting the IM Nuvo 15 cube (15"x15"x15") tank as a small upstairs tank, but really aren't interested in paying twice the cost of the aquarium for a stand.

Trying to get ideas for a small DIY stand I could do myself, and just wanted to ask if anyone might have any plans that I could mess around with or a good resource. Thanks!

15x15 is very narrow and I'd be more afraid of it toppling over in the event of an earthquake or getting bump since it's so top heavy. I'd just get larger and nice furniture grade cabinet that matches the room decor then set it on top of that. You can add support columns if you're concerned about the weight. Plus you'll get more storage space underneath for it for an ato or supplies.

If you are set on having it the same footprint as the tank, a basic 3/4" plywood box design with cross bracing is sufficient. Here's the one I made for my 24x24 cube for ideas

20190909_212619.jpg
20190914_180940.jpg
20190926_235522.jpg
20191005_105741.jpg

Last edited:
I have this exact tank and had the same hang-up as you. Spent a long time looking for a decent looking stand. Ended up spending $40 on a like-new 30" long black cabinet. The extra space on the side has been really valuable, and makes the stand less prone to wobbling. Can't help you with an exact item suggestion, but just my 2 cents. Best of luck!

15x15 is very narrow and I'd be more afraid of it toppling over in the event of an earthquake or getting bump since it's so top heavy. I'd just get larger and nice furniture grade cabinet that matches the room decor then set it on top of that. You can add support columns if you're concerned about the weight. Plus you'll get more storage space underneath for it for an ato or supplies.

If you are set on having it the same footprint as the tank, a basic 3/4" plywood box design with cross bracing is sufficient. Here's the one I made for my 24x24 cube for ideas

View attachment 48731View attachment 48732View attachment 48733View attachment 48734
That looks amazing! Did you just glue everything?

I plan on using this for my IM15 once I set it up. 15x15x30. $83 so it’s a great deal and cheaper than the tank itself.
View attachment 48750
I've seen some nice stuff at IKEA, but are you worried about the weight?

If you haven’t owned an IM tank the awesome stands are, to me, half the reason to own their tanks. If you can swing it, you’ll be happy you did!

Might still want to bolt to wall for earthquakes…

If you haven’t owned an IM tank the awesome stands are, to me, half the reason to own their tanks. If you can swing it, you’ll be happy you did!

Might still want to bolt to wall for earthquakes…
I've owned three so far (my current one being the Nuvo 200 with the APS stand), and I love the stands. However, spending $300 on a stand for a $100 tank isn't really appealing to me, and I figure this is a good chance to practice woodworking if I can't find a good ready-made solution.

My wife and I are interested in getting the IM Nuvo 15 cube (15"x15"x15") tank as a small upstairs tank, but really aren't interested in paying twice the cost of the aquarium for a stand.

Trying to get ideas for a small DIY stand I could do myself, and just wanted to ask if anyone might have any plans that I could mess around with or a good resource. Thanks!
I have a auqeon 15 column stand available

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230720_173114_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20230720_173114_Google.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 56
I have a auqeon 15 column stand available

I also have a IM15 cube that I use for coral QT and thought about putting it on a stand, but I had the same concern above that it seemed a little too too heavy and could potentially be easy to tip over, especially if set up on carpet. How was the stand with the Aqueon 15 tank on that stand?

It was solid. Moving between homes i chipped the edge of the tank. So I ended up with my aquatop 24. My qt is now a fluval evo 13.5. Everything is on a hard laminated surface though.

Back