got ethical husbandry?

PSA: Check you magnetic equipment and accessories often!!

Just this past week, i found two incidences of rusting magnets that I did not expect.

The first was a a cracked wetside magnet from my Smart ATO (one with 2 part lens). Just a hairline crack the showed signs of rust seepage. Easy to miss...

Second one blew my mind. Random chance i stuck my head into my sump for something and saw my icecap probeholder had "fell" off. Looked closer and realized the thing came apart from the back cover.. probably forced loose by a bulging rusty magnet. Not sure how long this has been the case but likely explains the mysterious tip burns and die offs... ugh

So -- moral of the story. Make it a regular habit to inspect all magnetic items for integrity often...

20220612_004602.jpg

20220612_002642.jpg

my probe holder did the same thing Recently. You can fix it by getting a new magnet and filling that cavity with 2 part epoxy in 2 pours. One to hold it in place and a second to seal it up good So that never happens again.

if your around Belmont, I probably have magnets and epoxy to get it fixed up for yah.

You'd think with how good acrylic welding techniques are they'd be able to make a water tight vessel for these things. Or heck maybe go the extra mile and fill the container with epoxy then weld it tightly shut.

my probe holder did the same thing Recently. You can fix it by getting a new magnet and filling that cavity with 2 part epoxy in 2 pours. One to hold it in place and a second to seal it up good So that never happens again.

if your around Belmont, I probably have magnets and epoxy to get it fixed up for yah.
Thanks for offer!

with 2 instances of leaky magnets, I'm now contemplating going "low tech"... and 3D print a holder sans magnet. getting PTSD from these rusty mags

You'd think with how good acrylic welding techniques are they'd be able to make a water tight vessel for these things. Or heck maybe go the extra mile and fill the container with epoxy then weld it tightly shut.
That's the thing... the holder looked fully encased like Hans from Empire Strikes Back...giving me unfounded confidence. turned out not to be the case... tsk.

Last edited:
Back