Kessil

question about light for reef tank

Hi there,
Guys, could you help me please.. i can't install the fluorescent bulbs in the T5. I purchased 12 w bulbs but the light was not bright at all. So what is normal light in the tank with corals?
Thanks in advance.

How big is the tank, dimensions and gallons, and what kind of light fixture do you have?

The general rule is that for corals you would need 3-5W of light power per gallon. It depends on multiple factors such as the type of corals & depth of tank. If you go with T5 you'll need both actinic(blue) and white (6500K to 12000K) high wattage bulbs made for corals/reef tanks.

Well there are different types of lights you can use for growing corals in aquariums.

The three most popular types are
  • T5
    • Have to replace bulbs every 6 months to a year
    • Hot
    • Uses up more electricity than LED
  • LED
    • Have a long life span compared to T5s/MHs
    • Will not increase your tank temperature
    • Energy Efficient
    • Relatively NEW to this hobby. Lots of people question their ability to grow corals as fast as T5s/MHs
  • Metal Halides
    • Have to replace bulbs. Not sure how often but I think its every 9 months to a year.
    • Very hot.
    • Uses up more electricity than LED

All of these will work for growing corals. You should pick out which one you think you want. I'm a big fan of LEDs, popular brands include Kessil, AI, radions, maxspect, chinaboxes from ebay.

How big is the tank, dimensions and gallons, and what kind of light fixture do you have?

The general rule is that for corals you would need 3-5W of light power per gallon. It depends on multiple factors such as the type of corals & depth of tank. If you go with T5 you'll need both actinic(blue) and white (6500K to 12000K) high wattage bulbs made for corals/reef tanks.

My tank is of this dimension 48″ x 18″ x 24″
I purchased the bulbs of another voltage. Here https://www.mrosupply.com/lighting/...llasts/1854152_flft5eh54w850_fulham-lighting/ I think that they fit my T5 fixture and give good light for corals.

Back