Neptune Aquatics

Question about SPS coral bleaching/RTN recovery

gmdcdvm

Supporting Member
Hello everyone,
I was curious what is the longest you have seen it take for a coral to recover from a bleaching or RTN episode. I ask because when I had to switch tanks after a seem failure I lost a lot of corals. I had a green encrusting monitopra that appeared to be dead to the point where coraline algae had grown to cover the skeleton. This week I noticed a very small section where it has grown back and there are maybe 4 to 5 polyps. It has been almost a year to the date when this happened. I have had a couple of others that looked dead only to come back after 4 to 6 months. Just wondering what others experiences have been like and when would you throw in the towel and remove the skeleton?

Gerry

They almost never come back. If the dead colony has been in there for a year it doesn't hurt to keep it in there, but in general they should be removed as soon as possible. Encrusting corals are more likely to come back than others.

I've recovered a lot of corals that bleached. Very frequently it's getting temperatures, lighting, and salinity back in range (almost always lower). I put them in low light (50-100 par max) and let them sit there for a few weeks as they recover.

RTN on SPS for me never recover as there's usually nothing left. STN does if the skeleton stays clean from hair algae.

The only "phoenix" type of corals I've seen come back are fungia or other plates that come back from a completely stripped skeleton. Some favia (lobos or whatever they're classified as now) and blastomussa do the same for me post getting stung badly.

I've recovered a lot of corals that bleached. Very frequently it's getting temperatures, lighting, and salinity back in range (almost always lower). I put them in low light (50-100 par max) and let them sit there for a few weeks as they recover.

RTN on SPS for me never recover as there's usually nothing left. STN does if the skeleton stays clean from hair algae.

The only "phoenix" type of corals I've seen come back are fungia or other plates that come back from a completely stripped skeleton. Some favia (lobos or whatever they're classified as now) and blastomussa do the same for me post getting stung badly.
I've had several dead plates produce pups on the bottom side.

Here is a pic of the green monti I mentioned

Couldn’t get a better pic.

Attachments

• IMG_4577.jpeg
    IMG_4577.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 59
Back