Neptune Aquatics

Quiet Skimmer?

@Meshmez which G5’s are noisy the XR15 or 30? My G4 XR15s are quiet even compared to my Kessils.

Actually I put my watch noise meter next to my skimmer today to “quantitatively” measure noise and it’s right about 50dB. But I guess it doesn’t tell you about the quality (annoyingness) of the noise... is it gurgly and irregular or like a nice white noise machine sound...

@Meshmez which G5’s are noisy the XR15 or 30? My G4 XR15s are quiet even compared to my Kessils.

Actually I put my watch noise meter next to my skimmer today to “quantitatively” measure noise and it’s right about 50dB. But I guess it doesn’t tell you about the quality (annoyingness) of the noise... is it gurgly and irregular or like a nice white noise machine sound...
I assume both. I think they have the same fan. I have a 30 though. It's louder the the G4s.

I personally don’t think it’s noisy by any means. I just notice that it’s on.
Ya, it's not ridiculous. But when they claim something is quiet, and then it's louder than their previous product.... It was definitely surprising the first time I heard it.

Any recs for a quiet HOB skimmer? I have 24 gallon Lifegard AIO. The back compartment is pretty small and does not fit all of the "nano" in tank skimmers. Bought a Macro Aqua but it's really loud even after a couple months; does a good job at creating a nice dark skimmate. Looking at the Reef Octopus but it's pretty pricey.

Back