Kessil

Rained on rocks...ok to use?

Picked up 100lbs of dry rock from someone on RC. He said half of it been sitting outside and got rained on a few times. Should I be worried about it soaking up bad stuff from the rain or outdoor contaminants? Is the rocks still usable even after i cure it for a couple months?

Not sure. It didnt even dawn on me to ask. Cooking process will begin this weekend, hopefully it'll be all good. Plan on cooking it for a couple months since i wont be needing it until about summer time. hopefully sooner if things go as planned.

I've been known to be less cautious than some, but here's my opinion anyway:

Unless it's been in a copper basin, catching gutter water from copper gutters (if it is rip those off and take them to a salvage yard for me pls) then you should be ok. I agree with Mario that I would re-cure them, because likely they have had a lot of die off from being pulled out of the tank and flooded with fresh water. Keep in mind that you are essentially picking up base rock, and the price should reflect that.

If you are worried about it, set up a nano with one of the rocks in it before you use it. Test it out.

I used a lot of dry rock from random sources. Some clean, some not. Over 100 pounds.
My method:
Hose it down like crazy, then just soak it for a few weeks in normal tap water, with a couple of changes.
Nothing fancy.
It did not cycle at all when I added it to a fresh tank. Had to feed tank to get it to cycle.
My tap water is pretty good quality though.

Back