got ethical husbandry?

Restarting my 180G after a pet sitter crashed my tank...

primaz

Supporting Member
I do want to say Bay Area Reefers are a great bunch of people! I just got a Kenya Tree large frag from NanoCrazed and he recommended I start a journal so here goes.

I had a nice coral reef in my 180 gallon seven feet long, by 30" tall and 20" wide tank with canopy for many years. Those were the days when everyone used a canopy, and the bomb was halides or power compact fluorescents. Then during a vacation I came back to find the entire tank top water line having a layer of flake food, the tank water looking like a murky muddy color. Apparently my pet sitter got sick and had a new person take care of our pets and she thought the fish were starving and began to feed, feed, feed! I should have took a pictures as you folks would be shocked.

Most of the coral died except for some mushrooms. I never did frequent water changes, more like once every 90 days and everything was fine. Now with a baron landscape of rocks, sand and almost no coral, my interest was diminished. I let things go and even the mushrooms died off as well as the last of the fish. I kept the tank in operation for a long time and recently about 4 months ago I did 4 or so major water changes, updated my lighting to 3 - NICREW 150W LED's, added two 4k gyre pumps and worked on restoring all of the mechanicals, etc. to ensure the tank systems were in good shape,

After a while I then joined Bay Area Reefers and dipped my toe back in adding some frags, and free donate corals after becoming a supporting member. I am pleased to see that the tank is looking nice, although still way more rocks than corals but I am ok taking it slow. I got a free clown and 6 line rasp from Mister_chui, thanks! and I added a clown buddy and recently added a school of 11 blue/green black axil chromis and they are doing well giving nice motion in the tank. Thanks to AditO I got some nice bird next frags doing great, Zero Gravitas gave me a nice rock with GPS in trade of a large live rock from my tank, gvdcdvm gave me some kenyan tree frags also doing well, A Aaron gave me some wonderful forest fire mini doing great! and giving some nice color to the tank, Ioncewaslegend helped me get out of the stone age with a free refractor, Srt4eric helped me rejuvenate my old sand with a 20lb bag of live sand, and I bought a few inexpensive mushrooms from iceman.

I need to get an orange filter or something so I can take some pictures that represent how the tank really looks now so that will happen at some point... I am also going to look at my basement and see if there are things I can Pay Forward as I love that concept and the kindness everyone has shown to me both in free things and sharing knowledge. I just gave away an old 48" LED I had no use for, still trying to give away my pair of Power Compacts and will keep looking to see if I can Pay it Forward as much as possible...

Attachments

• tank in white light2.jpg
    tank in white light2.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 196
  • NICREW150.jpg
    NICREW150.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 201
  • NICREW150_mount.jpg
    NICREW150_mount.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 202
Love the rock wall... always a fan but never had a tank long enough to make it work

Or i should say, never had a tank long enough that my wife would let me install rather... hah

Love the rock wall... always a fan but never had a tank long enough to make it work

Or i should say, never had a tank long enough that my wife would let me install rather... hah
Here is the Kenya Tree you gave me, it is doing great!

Attachments

• large MP kenya tree2.jpg
    large MP kenya tree2.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 161
Here are some better pictures of how things are thanks to the many generous people here at Bay Area Reefers. Still mostly rock but hopefully these little guys will continue to grow.

Attachments

• first GPS.jpg
    first GPS.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 158
  • forest fire bird nest frag2.jpg
    forest fire bird nest frag2.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 162
  • green finger frag2.jpg
    green finger frag2.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 162
  • polyp frag.jpg
    polyp frag.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 160
  • SJ polyp frag2.jpg
    SJ polyp frag2.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 162
  • torch frags.jpg
    torch frags.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 156
  • large MP kenya tree2.jpg
    large MP kenya tree2.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 163
  • frag opening.jpg
    frag opening.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 159
  • whole tank3.jpg
    whole tank3.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 155
thanks to BAR my tank is getting back to life from bare rock...

Attachments

• coral.jpg
    coral.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 135
  • coral2.jpg
    coral2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 138
  • coral3.jpg
    coral3.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 136
  • coral4.jpg
    coral4.jpg