Jestersix

Rock addition question

seminolecpa

Past President
Looks like I need to beef up my rock dupply in preparation for the tank transfer. Thinking I would just do some dry rock or something similar to the Eco Rox they sell at Bulk Reef Supply. Unfortunately they are out of stock with no date of when they will get additional supply. I really don't want live rock as I have a bunch from my current tank that should be fine to seed the new rock. Just looking for some good sized and shaped pieces for building up my aquascape.

Anyone else have any good suggestions that doesn't involve making it myself and curing it? Don't know if I have the skills or the bravery needed to make my own.

I have a bunch of nano-sized pieces currently bleaching in a bucket at home. Your more than welcome to them all. I can take a picture of them to gauge the size...

I was very happy with the Marco Rock I bought last year but see that they are out of stock as well. It says on their website "coming soon" and if they have it in stock it ships the same day or next, if not in stock free shipping.

They do have Florida base rock in stock and have it on sale at $0.89 a pound and it looks nice as well on the picture they provide.
Here is the link:

http://www.marcorocks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=59&HS=1

i've had good luck at a couple of LFS cherry picking base rock that is the size, shape and texture I like. Dolphin has a good selection and the Pet Club in Mountain View has some as well. Pricing is very reasonable at both places, if you're in the area it's worth it to stop by and see if you can find pieces you like.

Hey Bryan,

I have a bunch of dry dead rock I'm selling for a friend (cheap! to BAR members who remember him when he returns and builds his reef again). You are welcome to come by Livermore and choose whatever you want. It is dry and should be bleached before use, but any rock you add should be bleached anyway. It's mainly marco style roundish rock, but there are some NICE unique shapes as well. Not many branching pieces like you already have, but some nice pieces with 'ledges' and 'holes'/'ridges' none the less.

-D

**EDIT** Depending on the car I have this weekend I may be able to bring it to the meeting. Not likely but I could if you want to start 'cleaning and curing' it in your sump now.

Jay. Thanks for the offer but I am looking for some large sized pieces.

Matt. Depending on what I hove going on I might take you up on it. Are any of the pieces large sized pieces? I am really looking for stuff to be able to build up the current rock I have. Hence why I was looking at some of the WYSIWYG type premade rocks.

There are definitely some large sized pieces. If you want, you could take it all, piece some of it together and just weigh what you take. Like I said, the price is CHEAP but my friend would like to know how much he had and the only way to know that is to weigh it as he sells it.

[quote author=seminolecpa link=topic=5522.msg68718#msg68718 date=1229035836]
Looks like I need to beef up my rock dupply in preparation for the tank transfer. Thinking I would just do some dry rock or something similar to the Eco Rox they sell at Bulk Reef Supply. Unfortunately they are out of stock with no date of when they will get additional supply. I really don't want live rock as I have a bunch from my current tank that should be fine to seed the new rock. Just looking for some good sized and shaped pieces for building up my aquascape.

Anyone else have any good suggestions that doesn't involve making it myself and curing it? Don't know if I have the skills or the bravery needed to make my own.
[/quote]

They may never get it again, same with Marco. With Tonga AND Fiji shutdown for live rock, sources are few and far between and it's only going to get worse.

I should add I saw 4 pallets of it last weekend....but it's not heading to the BA or any of the online dry rock dealers ;)

Hmm maybe my understanding of the Eco Rox at least was wrong. I was thinking it was a manmade rock, hence how they could have the custom shapes and sizes.

[quote author=seminolecpa link=topic=5522.msg68774#msg68774 date=1229047660]
Hmm maybe my understanding of the Eco Rox at least was wrong. I was thinking it was a manmade rock, hence how they could have the custom shapes and sizes.
[/quote]

You may want to read the entire page, or even just the titles:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Eco-RoX-(-Fiji-Rock-)/c7/index.html

DRY FIJI LIVE ROCK is listed below every title ;)

Cmon, You don't think I can read do you?

No, I thought what they were calling "FIJI live rock" meant it was similiar in texture and density as the real stuff and just a name for it not actually real Fiji rock. Kind of like cheese Whiz.

Sorry to burst you bubble but they call it DRY FIJI LIVE ROCK because it came from Fiji :p If not they could be sued for miss advertising (bait and switch). It's not man made and can not be imported any longer. There still are pallets left but once they are gone it'll be all mined lace rock and mined aragonite.

[quote author=Dyngoe link=topic=5522.msg68739#msg68739 date=1229041157]
There are definitely some large sized pieces. If you want, you could take it all, piece some of it together and just weigh what you take. Like I said, the price is CHEAP but my friend would like to know how much he had and the only way to know that is to weigh it as he sells it.
[/quote]

Hi again Dyngoe,

Thanks again for the tank, sad thing it didn't fit :(. In any case, is there anyway for me to check out the rocks? Let me know how and when?

Back