Jestersix

Rock wall ???

some of you guys might not know. I’m building a 3 foot deep aquarium. Trying to get that lagoon path look. What do you guys think about on the back panel. I built a rock wall. With in’s and out’s. So this 3D like. Anyone try it ? I know people did it 15 years ago. But dunno if it was good or bad. Plus some parts would stick out further than others. I just seen one done on WWC. I didn’t like his style it was too L shaped. Anyways. Ideas and input please.

Potential detritus trap is the only downside I can really think of. But detritus has a lot of different mindsets about how to deal or not deal with. My sumps never get cleaned and have a good 1inch+ layer of detritus in certain chambers.

You’d need to protect the bottom glass, a route would be setting in place a starboard piece the size of the bottom or a piece of thick glass siliconed (floating glass).
Long ago, Jason @Eight ? Bought a tank from Ron, fellow reefer that had a starboard bottom carved to mimic a sandy bottom, I believe epoxy and sand were used on top of the starboard piece.
Some people have used Great Stuff for ponds to put rock pieces together, not sure of how strong the bond would be and less sure about anything leaching in a saltwater environment while using that material.
At one point I had started to work on a wall tank, 36” in height but gave up un that idea since the sump cabinet height derailed the project; I like higher cabinets that can accommodate equipment and are easy to work inside.
Circulation was a big issue, I don’t think MP40’s we’re already on the market
Another issue was light penetration, back then halides were the only choice to get down the water column and directing light to an almost vertical set up… Just scrapped the plan.

Designing a base to hold a structure like this seems like a perfect use case for 3d printing. Both that you could build a support for the very bottom if needed, but also if you need to build some support columns you could print them.

I'm not sure why I didn't think of this before, but a really interesting option could be design an inner support structure, print it at least partially hollow, and then fill it with reef cement. Similar how people use, or used, fiberglass rods and other stuff.

However that requires being able to design the structures.

Do a sketch so we can have a better understanding of what kind of layout like top down and front view or pic ideas! Their are several glues/ silicone that people have used in the past with no issues but honestly I wouldn’t glue anything directly to back. Maybe 3 - 5 interlocking panels with larger rocks at bottom so they will be self supporting then cut flat back rocks higher up then can pop out if you upgrade for resale lol..There are several tube vids check this channel out for ideas not sure if this german company is still in business. Thats going to be alota weight if your covering the whole back panel though unless you go fo finish like commercial aquariums with the pre-done light weight panels..

Designing a base to hold a structure like this seems like a perfect use case for 3d printing. Both that you could build a support for the very bottom if needed, but also if you need to build some support columns you could print them.

I'm not sure why I didn't think of this before, but a really interesting option could be design an inner support structure, print it at least partially hollow, and then fill it with reef cement. Similar how people use, or used, fiberglass rods and other stuff.

However that requires being able to design the structures.
3D printing might be the way to go.

Jake did it like this:

I thought it looked meh. But the angled lighting is probably what you'd want to do.

Back