Reef nutrition

Single SPS in a nano with no dosing?

IOnceWasLegend

Frag Swap Coordinator
BOD
I've got a nice spot in my tank that I'm thinking about putting a bird's nest frag on in a few months. It would be my first SPS frag (and, for this tank, the only one). Would weekly 15-20% water changes potentially be enough to get by?

I'm assuming the answer is, "It depends on size/coral, monitor parameters and dose if necessary," but I'm just curious if *any* SPS in a nano tank requires dosing by default.

Interesting; why is that? I would've thought the "size = stability" rule would've applied here as well.
If you're doing weekly water changes, and all else remaining constant, then the water quality would be in check minimizing the stability issues. Of course if you are over stocking with fish, then bets are off.

Plus birdsnests are pretty simple to keep and hardy

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

If you're doing weekly water changes, and all else remaining constant, then the water quality would be in check minimizing the stability issues. Of course if you are over stocking with fish, then bets are off.

Plus birdsnests are pretty simple to keep and hardy

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ah, okay. I had thought keeping it in a smaller system would be more difficult, since there's a more limited amount of Ca/Alk to pull from the water and that'd be mitigated somewhat in a large system.

Regarding fish, I have two (firefish and bar goby) in my 20g and I don't think I'll be adding any more for the foreseeable future.

Sounds like you have a solid mental grasp of the situation. I’ve got a pink one if you wanna try it. I also would suggest branching montis or a green slimer, or purple stylophora as suitable first try material for a branching sps.
Let me know if you want to try any of them out.

No! I don’t know what you mean by “nano” but I need an Alk doser on my 25g QT when I have any number of small frags in there because small tanks will have Alk instability that SPS will not appreciate.

Back