Neptune Aquatics

Skimmer sizing

I bought a used Skimz skimmer, it has a DC pump that failed. I pulled out the whole skimmer, went back to my 20 year old AquaC EV120 and it's Mag5, which has run continuously for 20 years except for a month of the Skimz skimmer. I bought a replacement AC pump for the Skimz, which has slightly different fittings than the DC version. I'm sure DC skimmers are more reliable now, but I've had that pump and a DC return pump fail on me and I don't trust them now. it may be unfounded, now that several years have passed since DC pumps first arrived, but when I have reliable AC pumps, I'll use them.

If DC pumps are reliable and somehow save electricity, then I'll give them a try again maybe. Only better efficiency would convince me that they are worth it.

V
I run an old aquac ev150 off a dc pump. It's nice because gives you another lever to pull to dial it in. My old pumps were suspect when I fired it back up so I just went dc. It is quieter than the giant Rio I used to drive it back in the day.

I wouldn't mind getting a modern skimmer but don't want to pay for the ultra reef akula that I really want.

the motor works when it’s 100% clean but even after 2 days if it loses power it won’t spin back on, even if I try to shove a chopstick in there and start it up it won’t restart. it will stay on forever as long as there’s no power loss. It’s always been like this unfortunately I bought it from Diablo corals and never used it for 2 years and it became out of warranty when I realized the problem. If anyone wants to pay $100 for a motor directly from simplicity you can have it. I was kind of done testing after spending $35 on a new impeller. I also got sent a new controller accidentally it’ if anyone needs that
I think both skimz and simplicity just use jebao pumps with a sticker on them.

In the end it doesn't matter much, the jebao branded also costs ~$100 for the appropriate size.

I never really understood why there are ratings for skimmers. A good skimmer just pulls out organics if organics are there to be pulled out. If the skimmer is "oversized" then, that's fine, it will provide more oxygenating agitation, but it will pull out whatever is there. If the skimmer is "undersized" then at first it will pull out a lot of crap and you'll have to keep emptying the cup until any EXCESS organic crap doesn't exceed the skimmers cup capacity. Then you just have a smaller cup to empty more often just because it is smaller, but attach an overflow container and it's no problem.
I don't believe this is true. I believe a larger skimmer needs higher organic load to function properly/consistently. I also think a oversized skimmer can pull organics out quicker in a small volume, making it harder to maintain a level of nutrients in the tank.

Had a question in regards to skimmers and thought it's relevant here instead of creating a new thread. If one were to run the skimmer on a schedule so it's not on 24/7 how do you deal with ATO water level sensor? Do you set it to when the skimmer is off and then schedule ATO to turn off when skimmer is on and water level is lower? Vice versa? Run 2 ATOs one for skimmer off and another for skimmer on?

I currently only run my skimmer at night and have my ATO water level set for when the skimmer is on . But have noticed that when my skimmer turns on, the water level is so low from evaporation that my ATOs auto shut off timer goes off and will trip an error. My current work around is when my skimmer turns on, I have my ATO power cycle every few minutes about 5 times. This also means that during the day I have evaporation and no topping off. I should probably reverse this so my ATO runs at skimmer off as this is more hours than skimmer on time and would be less of a salinity swing but I would still have a swing at night when the skimmer is on and my ATO would have to be scheduled off.

Had a question in regards to skimmers and thought it's relevant here instead of creating a new thread. If one were to run the skimmer on a schedule so it's not on 24/7 how do you deal with ATO water level sensor? Do you set it to when the skimmer is off and then schedule ATO to turn off when skimmer is on and water level is lower? Vice versa? Run 2 ATOs one for skimmer off and another for skimmer on?

I currently only run my skimmer at night and have my ATO water level set for when the skimmer is on . But have noticed that when my skimmer turns on, the water level is so low from evaporation that my ATOs auto shut off timer goes off and will trip an error. My current work around is when my skimmer turns on, I have my ATO power cycle every few minutes about 5 times. This also means that during the day I have evaporation and no topping off. I should probably reverse this so my ATO runs at skimmer off as this is more hours than skimmer on time and would be less of a salinity swing but I would still have a swing at night when the skimmer is on and my ATO would have to be scheduled off.
I have my ATO set at “skimmer on” level and I skim through the night. I run a Tunze Osmolater 3155 and haven’t experienced what you mentioned. 2 scheduled ATOs might be your best bet or setup a float valve as the secondary ATO so your main ATO pump doesn’t shut down.

This is my “swing” if it even counts as a swing. Lol
8CA68949-2EB6-4875-884D-0CE3F1E3963B.jpeg

With the water volume you have, I doubt you would see any appreciable salinity swing if you just leave your ATO on all the time.

My skimmer is in the “constant level” section of my sump. The display tank drains directly into this section. My ATO level sensor is in the “return pump” section of the dump and this is the only part of the system that varies in water level. The dot is always filled to the level of the overflows, the skimmer section is basically a box in the dump that takes the drains and overflows into the rest of the dump and it’s level never changes when everything is working. The return section is simply the rest of the sump and it’s level drops with evaporation.

Whether or not the skimmer is running or even present in the system is irrelevant to my return pump sections water level.

Is your sump divided with baffles? Or just a simple tank? Mine is in fact just an old glass aquarium with a plastic storage box in it. I meant to build a proper sump … 10 years ago, and haven’t gotten around to it yet.

My skimmer is in the “constant level” section of my sump. The display tank drains directly into this section. My ATO level sensor is in the “return pump” section of the dump and this is the only part of the system that varies in water level. The dot is always filled to the level of the overflows, the skimmer section is basically a box in the dump that takes the drains and overflows into the rest of the dump and it’s level never changes when everything is working. The return section is simply the rest of the sump and it’s level drops with evaporation.

Whether or not the skimmer is running or even present in the system is irrelevant to my return pump sections water level.

Is your sump divided with baffles? Or just a simple tank? Mine is in fact just an old glass aquarium with a plastic storage box in it. I meant to build a proper sump … 10 years ago, and haven’t gotten around to it yet.
My sump has divider baffles with water level adjustment for each chamber. But it's a Triton style sump so the fuge is first then the skimmer chamber then the return section. And the return section level will change depending on my skimmer on/off and of course also by total water volume.
20221225_134253.jpg

The skimmer "takes up" a volume of water when it's on, which then causes the overall volume of water in the sump to drop, triggering the ATO. Bigger sumps, big return sections, smaller skimmers, etc. Will change how much the skimmer affects the level.

Back