Neptune Aquatics

Small Clown not eating

I purchased two black ice clowns about 2 weeks ago, I waited a couple of days before I fed them a few small New Life Spectrum Marine pellets and they both ate. Didn’t eat much but they did, then a couple of days later when I went to feed them again, the bigger of the two ate but the smaller one would spit the food back out. So I thought maybe the pellets were too big, I ended up crushing and soaking the pellets but the small one continued to spit the food out.

In fear of the little one starving, I went and got some Omega One frozen mysis. Again the larger one continues to eat while the little one spits the food out. At this point I’d imagine the little one has to be to be eating something or it wouldn’t have survived this long would it? Because the little one is so small, could it just be eating a few small pieces that I didn’t see and is just full after that?

I know there are other threads about fish not eating but I think my situation may slightly differ.

Those are farmed fish. They are already used to eating pellets. But i do suggest you offer a wide variety of food options including frozen and flakes. If the fish are showing signs of starvation, it could be too late for recovery.
A fish’s stomach is about the size of 1 of their eyeballs and should be offered various foods at the same time

Back