Our mission

Solar tube skylight

Hi guys, got a question for you guys. Are all solar tube the same or some better than others? If some are better, what brand is good but doesn't cost too much?? :bigsmile:
Thank!

Spoken like a true Broke Ass Reefer :D

Is it going to be a straight shot down? Or a curve?
What is the application? Just get as much light in a tank? Or to light a room?

If you want to get as much of the income light as possible, then make sure you use the solid tubes, they're polished aluminum IIRC, and the flat surfaces allow the light to really bounce where it needs to go. I've seen some with bendable tubes, similar to the exhaust tubing for clothes driers (just bigger), those are covered with mylar inside, which is more reflective BUT the crinkly surface doesn't reflect nicely.

If you're looking to light a room up, I'd suggest a skylight over a solar tube, they're the best bang for your buck simply due to their sizes, where as the solar tube skylights are much smaller by comparison and while they light that comes out of them is more intense per unit area, they just don't have as much light.

Alright, just make sure (and maybe the various pros will chime in here) the biggest problem with any skylight whether square or tubes is to make sure they're water tight as a leak will be bad :D As to the "how much they'll light" is based mostly on how high your ceiling is, a standard 8 ft ceiling won't get as much coverage as one that a taller 10ft ceiling.

Brands, I think they're more or less the same, some might have different types of light diffusers or different flashing material for the roof, but the end of the day light goes in one end and bounces around inside a tube and comes out the other.

Yeah I'm broke :( ..

For several rooms not the tank. Yeah regular skylight is nice but installing that is more complicated (I don't know how to install that yet). They cost quite a bit to have professinal install (~$1500 for a 2x4 skylight). I can install a lot of tubes for that price. Most of the 10" unit can light up 150 sq feet and the 14" unit can cover up to 300 sq feet. I'm thinking about getting a 14" for my kitchen, 2x10" for the bathroom, one for the hallway and maybe one for the entry (if I figure out how to install it in that area).

I don't need the flexible ones. I will go with the straight solid tube.

Any suggestions on what brand to buy or they are all the same??

I have only 8' ceiling :( .. I think I will install one in the hallway first to see how much it covers.

Wouldn't a better diffuser work better??

Possible, however there's only so much a diffuser can do.

I think installing one is a good call to get an idea for how much light they'll really bring in. It's really hard to tell in the store where you see the demo because the entire store is illuminated as well.

Framing up a skylight isn't terribly difficult, basically build a box from the ceiling to the roof, cut out the joists inside the box, and drywall up the interior. Like with the solar tube though the key is going to get a water tight fit on the roof :D Pick up one of those home depot books (or just browse through one in the store or go to the library), it's not terribly difficult in the grand scheme of things. However if you are unsure, maybe poking holes in the roof should be left for the professionals ;)

According to Mikey, building the frame isn't hard but I don't really want to spend time in the artic. It's freaking hot up there. Also if there is a stud in the way, it will be a PIA. As soon as I finish the floor and the kitchen, I will try to install one tube in the hallway and go from there.

sfsuphysics said:
Possible, however there's only so much a diffuser can do.

I think installing one is a good call to get an idea for how much light they'll really bring in. It's really hard to tell in the store where you see the demo because the entire store is illuminated as well.

Framing up a skylight isn't terribly difficult, basically build a box from the ceiling to the roof, cut out the joists inside the box, and drywall up the interior. Like with the solar tube though the key is going to get a water tight fit on the roof :D Pick up one of those home depot books (or just browse through one in the store or go to the library), it's not terribly difficult in the grand scheme of things. However if you are unsure, maybe poking holes in the roof should be left for the professionals ;)

I installed a vent in my roof. There are small vents along the edge of the roof, though they are not technically "soffit" vents because the vents are in the side of the house near the roof and there is no soffit ... but there is no actual vent in the roof! Apparently when the previous owners had the roof redone, the idiot roofers (obviously not pros) forgot to put any vents to allow hot air to escape! So I put one in myself (after reading the Home Depot manual that Mike spoke about, as well as a Black and Decker one). When I cut the hole in the roof (from above) I was amazed at the air that came out, it was like getting blasted with a hair dryer! My house still gets freaking hot. I should have put in two vents.

It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be and I think I could do the solar tube thing easily. Just be careful on your roof!

V

Vince, Costco sell the solar one that has build-in fan. I heard it works pretty good. As far as cutting a round hole on the roof, I don't think I have too much problem with that. Worse case use a lot of IC Gel :bigsmile: :p ..

I can see a perfect place in my house that could use one (right in the "foyer" at the front door). A project for another time.

yeah, I saw the Costco solar ones. I have one of those "turbine" ones. Not really sure how effective it is, as it only turns when there is a breeze and we know that some of the hotest days come with no breeze!

The solar ones that I looked at at the time were like $300. Cheaper to install a traditional one with a thermostat controlled fan, though that means an electrical hookup! So I cheaped out and wen with the turbine one.

I had once considered installing a "whole house fan" as well, which basically is a fan to blow air from the house up into the attick, which would presumably then go out the vent... but it looked like a lot of work!

As it is, I am installing ceiling fans to keep the living areas cool and will think about the attic later.

Anyway, good luck with the solartube thing! Building a skylight "box" as Mike mentioned sounds like a lot of work, to be honest. I'd especially worry about the part where you have to cut the ceiling joists!

V

I have a rubber membrane roof that I'm quite hesitant to poke a hole into otherwise it definitely would toss some of these badboys in my house. It's a bit more difficult to make water tight than shingled roofs with a good pitch.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,20047003,00.html

Here is an "Ask this old house" video that shows installing a solar VENT (not solar tube). But it shows what you have to do to stick something on your roof!

V

I had two of these installed on my old house one in the closet and one in bathroom. The provided enough light in the day time so i didnt need to use a lights.

Back