Our mission

steinhart aquarium

glee

today was the first time i've been to the steinhart aquarium since the sf tank tour in march. in the purple tile fish tank, there looked to be an orange sun coral and a green sun coral fully inflated. they looked awesome! i just want to get a confirmation that the green one is a tubastrea too and not a duncan. sorry no pics....

The deepwater display tank where the staff pick tanks are located glee? I believe the Tubastrea has black polyps, with green tentacles. For some reason Tubastrea micrantha is floating around my mind. I am not 100% ... maybe Rich can chime in.

maybe the green coloration is more prominent with their lighting. it was fully inflated and didnt look black to me.

PLetny of black's have the green sheen. It's not the lighting ;)

glee said:
today was the first time i've been to the steinhart aquarium since the sf tank tour in march. in the purple tile fish tank, there looked to be an orange sun coral and a green sun coral fully inflated. they looked awesome! i just want to get a confirmation that the green one is a tubastrea too and not a duncan. sorry no pics....

The deepwater tank would not have photosynthetic corals ;) Black/green tubastrea indeed. That's Matt's baby if you want to question him about it.

Yep. I tried for find a shot to show the growth because its spectacular, but stopped looking. Huge I tells ya! And right on top of the reef in wicked flow surrounded by anthias. Clearly they eat the same kind of zooplankton.

Back