Kessil

Tang housing

Most tangs IMO require 100+ gallons... some 180-200+

The Scopas, Bristletooth and Blue tang are the ones that I have heard and seen many success stories in the 75 gallon range.

My favorite is the Powder Orange Tang. It's suitable for any tank size, but I prefer to keep mine in highball glass with tap water and ice.

Haha - between listening to a political commentator podcast and reading this thread and listening to the host switch from this "serious" way of speaking back to her California accent while reading your post I had to do a double-take.

It was funny!

Anywhoo back to your local programming.

50g tanks are a minimum, but I personally still think they are still too small for a tang of any size.

I think it's more important to think about your entire system, and the bio load it will have. The thing that most ppl screaming about tangs don't talk about is the way they eat and poop. Tangs will eat constantly, they process their food very quickly and it is released back into the system very quickly. They are also (not all but enough to make the statement) very prone to Ick. What I would do is design your sytem in this manner

1. Largest tank you - Want to have, afford.
2. What is most important to you Fish or Coral or a mix of both
3. If you want corals, do you want a mixed reef, LPS and Softie, or SPS
4. Using the size of your tank, the corals you want (if you want them) to think about fish (as some great fish are not reef safe)
5. After #4 is considered, fish choices should be based on the following - bio load, swimming room, the place they like to be in the tank (bottom, middle, top)
6. Stocking order (some fish can be very peaceful if added at the right time, however adding them at an incorrect placement in the grand order can result in volience)

I personal agree with the 1st part of Mario's statement in general (70 gal is a starting point) however as a general rule I would say that would be a 1 tang tank. Personaly for tangs I would say min 48" length (they like the swimming room) and as wide and tall as you can go after that.

As people said it depends upon the tang.

IMO the smallest size I'd keep even the calmest of tangs (usually the bristle tooth) maybe 100g. Even though there are a lot of recommendations that you can keep them smaller, they like to swim, they pick at algae on rocks and what not, you need a lot of "grazing ground" for them. I'd want another tang in my 180, but to be perfectly honest the 2 I have really don't leave a lot of "food" left on the rocks, as a result they most likely would defend their sparse feeding grounds, so its not something I'll do.

Shouldn't we talk about tank length instead of tank size?? I think 100G cube tank has less swimming space than my 40G breeder tank..

Swimming space in a straight line yes, but the front to back depth I have noticed plays a huge difference in how skittish/comfortable they are. When I went from my 6 foot long 1.5 foot wide tank to 4 x 3 my tangs (all my fish really) seem much more comfortable in it, they don't skit away when I walk by, they tend to swim in a much more carefree manner. Etc.

I agree with that statement Mike. Tank size doesn't say much. Its more about swimming room. IE. 180 gallon packed full of live rock doesn't = 180 with two islands of rocks.

Back