Cali Kid Corals

They go up, but not out

I've got a handful of frags in my smaller tank downstairs. I've noticed that all of my 4-5 frags of M. digitata have started to encrust on frag disks, in addition to growing vertically. Even, one of my green slimer acropora frags is growing nicely.
I have a question about all of my birdnest frags though. I have a frag of pink birdnest that has not grown at all; my green polyp birdnest is regaining its color (was half bleached when I got it), growing towards the light, but no encrusting; and lastly my pink with purple polyp birdnest is growing like a monster, but not encrusting at all either.
Is there a reason in particular that I am observing this?
Thanks

They seem not to encrust very well in my experience.

In fact I have a birdsnest that has not attached to anything and is somewhat growing in a ball-shape.

[quote author=Raddogz link=topic=5702.msg71481#msg71481 date=1230222868]
They seem not to encrust very well in my experience.

In fact I have a birdsnest that has not attached to anything and is somewhat growing in a ball-shape.
[/quote]

So the entire mini-colony is being supported essentially, by one bare encrusting branch?
Also, is pink birdnest a slow grower relative to the others? Or should I try relocating the frag?

IME pinks grow like weeds, they like to be hammered by light and flow, as Eileen said they really don't take a firm hold I assume mostly to aid in asexual reproduction.

[quote author=phishphood link=topic=5702.msg71484#msg71484 date=1230226137]
Next time you mount your frag, try putting it on it's side on the plug.
[/quote]

Agreed. I've had good experiences with these going this route.

In my experience it tends to grow out onto the plug more and all together create a stronger base. I know on some SPS Acro types I've grown if you just put them on a plug straight up it will continue to grow tall with occasional branching; often ending up with a very fragile base. By laying it on it's side it has more brancing from the offset and creates a stronger base. My experience anyways...

Back