Kessil

Tigger Pods/feeding mandarins

I just bought a red mandarin and I was going to feed it tigger pods. Will using this product seed my tank. I don't run a fuge but I do have micro algae in my tank (cheato) would this product eventually seed my system? If so what is the best way to seed the tank?

Yes, it could, but if you put a Mandarin in with them, the Mandarin will most likely eat them all, and you will not get a good population density. BTW, Mandarins can eat alot of pods, and it would be a very expensive way to feed them with an unestablished pod population, IME.

I have read of people training their Mandarins to eat frozen and even dried foods, but those were under controlled conditions. They kept them in small spaces and went from live food to frozen to pellets over a length of time. That takes dedication. :)

Good luck with your Mandarin. I have always wanted one, but have been afraid to get one even though my tanks are crawling with pods. I am worried that the Mandarin will eat itself out of house and home.

In the LFS I saw him eat live brine. Would that be easier to feed it. I just assumed that the pods would live in the tank so I wouldn't have to feed very much. How hard would it be to keep live brine in a small tank?

They'll gobble up live brine, but live brine isn't very nutritious, I've heard it described as 'cotton candy' for fish. Plus I don't think you can easily keep live brine for a length of time. You'll probably end up having to repeatedly go back to the LFS for another bag. Lyn is right in that an abundant pod poupulation in your tank/ fuge is the way to go.

I recently trained a mandarin to eat prepared foods. I put him in a fish breeder and started with baby brine shrimp, then mixed in frozen brine. Now he eats Mysis, Arctipods, and pellets. The whole process wasn't too hard and mine started to eat frozen brine within two weeks.

Thanks for the tip sendo. :) Maybe I'll try your method one of these days. What brand of pellets do you feed your Mandarin?

I am using Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 pellets. I have heard that they like the smell of these ones better. There is a lot of good info on the MOFIB website. Mine only eats pellets if I feed Arcti-pods at the same time. Don't know why, maybe because they are the same color.

OK guys, this isn't a normal forum where you can answer for me. The poster asked me a direct question. You all replied with your own opinions and even other brands/products to use. That is not what this "sponsor" forum is about and if that's how it's viewed then I will have to ask for this forum to be closed.

Gresham, this is a great place for you to connect with customers, but this forum is indeed open to club members to reply with their own opinions, experience, and advice. Everyone's just trying to give Erik the best advice they can. Don't worry... we all love your products!

Absolutely what Erin says... we are not disrespecting your products, in fact, my fridge is full of them, and I use them everyday :) I have learned through this thread (and hopefully other too) that Tiger pods and Arctipods are beneficial for keeping Mandarins. :D

Sorry if I wrote in a sponsor forum Gresham, I wasn't paying close attention to the heading when I replyed. I just saw "Mandarin" and had to see what it was about because I have always thought them beautiful, and would like to keep one if I could. :)

Try doing a Mandarin Diner--see here:
http://www.melevsreef.com/mandarin_diner.html

--Start by putting live baby brine shrimp in there. After awhile you can put in dried food. This is pretty tricky to accomplish and I recommend isolating the Mandarin in a quarantine tank without rocks and stuff to train them to go into the diner.

Patrick

It's not about "disrespecting RN products" Lyn ;) When some ones asks a direct question IMO it's best to let that person answer, regardless of which forum. It's just that much more pertinent in a vendor forum that the vendor be the one to answer. No biggy, I've asked for the forum to be removed as it's not how we prefer them to operate.

BTW it's Tigger-Pods, not Tiger-Pods :lol:

They are the only ones that challenged our trademark and eventually they dropped it :)

Back