Our mission

Tissue Recession on a Gorgonian

I have a gorgonian (pacific variety I think, never been able to identify) that is starting to recede from the base upward. It’s a bright silver white with overlapping micro-scales that flare on the tips and really tiny dark brown polyps (appears to be at least partially NPS and eats RN OF). It’s been hanging in there for the last 6 to 9 months with very little growth but no recession. It does have great PE and gets pretty good current. Now it’s receeding from the base up. It’s lost all of the tissue encrusting on the rock and has a large bare area on the stalk. I did move it into a higher flow area about a week ago, but gorgonians should be able to take a lot of current.

Last reading about a week ago –
Dhk – 9.5
NO3 – undetectable
CA – 440ppm
Sg – 1.025

I’ll test tonight for current readings when I get home…but was hoping maybe someone here has experienced this before.

-Gregory

Found out what's going on......there are small star fish wrapping themselves around the stalks of the gorgonians and eating their way up. Needless to say they went to see Jesus (as my mama used to say!)

-Gregory

A good place for anything munching gorgonians (funny my mama says the same thing)! Glad to hear you figured out what was going on. Just added a couple of Gorgonians to my tank to see how they do...so far so good! I'll keep my eyes open for gorgonian hungry stars!

Back