High Tide Aquatics

Trimming a Leather?

Schmitty

Supporting Member
Leather.jpg

So this is my leather. It's kind of getting out of control size-wise... Can I cut it down some how, and if so whats the best way to do it without hurting it and keeping the left over to donate to someone or trade or whatever?

Just cut it with scissors? Would an exacto knife work better? Is it better in the water or to pull the leather out of the water and cut it?

I tried both. I like the scissor better but knife work. Whatever you use, make sure it sharp.
Fill a container with water, take the colony out of the tank and frag it in the container. Rinse it really good then put it back in the tank. Toss the water in the container. If you make only one frag, you can do it in the tank but make sure the knife/scissor really clean.

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=2829.msg29940#msg29940 date=1200203197]
Run some carbon to clean up any toxins from the fragged leather.
[/quote]

Ah.. forgot that because I ran carbon 24/7 .. ;D

I used to use scissors to cut branches off my leather too. Really easy to do. If you can remove it and frag it outside the tank, that's ideal, because like Norman said, they do release toxins when cut. Otherwise, I would guess you would just run carbon when you're about to frag, and then probably leave it in there for at least 24 hours to get it all.

[quote author=Elite link=topic=2829.msg29941#msg29941 date=1200203312]
[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=2829.msg29940#msg29940 date=1200203197]
Run some carbon to clean up any toxins from the fragged leather.
[/quote]

Ah.. forgot that because I ran carbon 24/7 .. ;D
[/quote]

Is there a benefit to running carbon all the time? (and is there a downside?)

The benefit is crystal clear water and removal of all kinds of stuff, including toxins.

The downside is that your tank may become too clean for some animals like zoas.

In the past, I've run carbon from time to time but I do not do it continuously.

C

Back