Jestersix

trochus spawning

sooo... finally my dsl is back up and running after a week w/o it. i went to check on my tank last night.. i found that my trochus snails were releasing a ton of eggs!!! maybe i'll have a bunch of babies soon.

trochusspawning.jpg

trochuseggs.jpg

I've had my Nassarius snails lay tons of eggs on multiple occasions, but nothing ever came of them :(
Hopefully you see some results!

I have a bunch of baby cerith (sp) and some other type of snail. They are all still tiny though. I'll have to get some night pics since they aren't out during the day.

I was able to send 130 or so babies to new homes at BAYMAC. Now I just need to move another 150 or so and I'll be back down to the 8-10 I want in the 20 high!

levi,

are you sure those aren't those rice snails aka pyramid? i had a friend who had a ton of em all over the glass only at night. as soon as the lights came on, they would fall off onto the sand bed.. these same snails were feasting on his clams..

jim,

i've never witnessed my snails do this before. i always see them releasing this milky fluid when the powerheads are off.

Hey Sam, I was also under the impression that the black foot trochus was a broadcast spawner as I've never seen eggs of any type. Their tank was running sans physical filtration, just a biowheel and I think this is why I ended up w/ the babies.

jim,

you know, previously in my 120g i had shut the return pump for 6+ hours when i fed cyclops. during that time frame i only ran the powerheads inthe tank for circulation. i have a HOB skimmer and a TLF phosban reactor that i put in the overflow box.. the overflow has been plugged so there is no sump. that is my surface skimming method until i build a sump for teh tank. i'm hoping there will be babies growing from this event.

Back