Kessil

Turning off Protein skimmer

newfly

Supporting Member
I have trouble keeping nutrient >0 and resort to dosing . I have a small tunze 9004 dc skimmer . Not pulling a lot out but I kept it running 24/7 for oxidation.

I am considering just pulling the plug. Could use the limited space on my aio tank. I am not concern about nutrients, but what about oxidation?

If you’re worried about oxidation. Point your Powerheads to the surface of the water in your DT. Air/Gas exchange is mostly from the water surface. Not the bubbles.

If it's not pulling stuff out, it's probably not reducing your nutrients by much. You could replace it with an air line for gas exchange.

Yes, the surface agitation is where the gas exchange takes place but big bubbles breaking the surface is much more efficient than water current surface agitation (unless you have a pump facing almost vertical)

Source: reef beef

Yeah I have 2 opposing Nero that’s pointing slightly upwards. I have plenty of flow, close to 80-100x for my tank volume (65g) .

Thanks for the comment. I’ll turn it off and see what happen.

My light went out last week and the replacement finally arrived. Didn’t occur to me that my parameters is out of whack since the consumption is way down due to the lack of lights. I’ll stabilize that first before messing with another change with the skimmer

Standard answer to this question: have you considered feeding a bunch more?

Benefit being more stuff in the water for corals and fat fish, plus the skimmer can still pull out any random crap that gets in your tank.

Standard answer to this question: have you considered feeding a bunch more?

Benefit being more stuff in the water for corals and fat fish, plus the skimmer can still pull out any random crap that gets in your tank.
I have very few fish. Too main pain to add more fishes as I have an evil purple tang and blue damsel. I’m feeding way more than enough as the bristle worms are fat, over 6inches long and many of them.

Back