Kessil

Two Maxspect Gyres or two Vortech MP10?

kinetic

Supporting Member
I've been running one maxspect gyre for awhile in my small tank, and while it's been fine, I've been thinking of getting a second source of flow to mix up the laminar flow (even though it's on a weird lagoon setting).

The MP10 should be nice, though it's pretty pricey for two, whereas getting two new gyres would be cheaper.

The flow is different, but not sure how to compare what would be best for the tank.

SPS + anemone in a 24"x20"x20"

For me I am partial for vortech mainly because I think they look nicer.

My current Gyre is on the black overflow, so it's hidden, but if I get two, I'll be mounting them vertically on both sides so I'll see them clearly. You have a good point... I should consider the two vortechs since they'll be showing on the sides now.

Apples and oranges. How do you want your water flow to flow? You say you'll mount the gyres vertical, well the way that will move water simply can not be replicated by Vortech pumps. Not saying Vortechs can't move water in an effective manner, but if you want the effect of a vertically mounted gyre I presume you want that effect. Now if you're doing it as a way to cram more pumps into smaller space, then gyres are not exactly the best tool for that, they're great when you have the horizontal space so you don't see them too much, not so great if you have to start orienting them in such fashions that they end up being an eyesore.

Thanks for everyone's input!

I ended up just ordering two AI Nero 3's and I'm going to add them to the tank along with the existing gyre. The gyre I'll crank down a bit and maybe remove completely if the Nero 3's work well.

I read up a lot on MP10 and saw that a lot of people favored the Nero's more, especially with direction, broader flow, and two cost the same as the MP10. The other good thing is the Nero 3's come with the fish/nem guard, whereas I'd have to buy a 3D printed one for the MP10 (adding about $70 extra for two).

Back