High Tide Aquatics

Ughh - API Test Kits

I just bought one of the new Hanna alk meters. I've been using my API test kit to measure my alk and my alk ranges in between the 8 - 9 dkh range. I test my alk with the Hanna meter and I get 120ppm which is the equivalent of around 6.72dkh. WTF? My alk levels have been low all this time? I remembered at the frag swap at the beginning of the year I got some of the alk standard. It took 12 drops for the vial to change from blue to yellow. Freaking API test kit is off. I should have known it would have been off for alk because it was off for my pH too. API test kits are not even close to accurate.

I calibrated both. I used the 10.6 standard and I got 186ppm with the Hanna which is about 10.4 dkh. When I use the same standard with the API kit at 11 drops it was a light green. 12 drops it was yellow. So I'm going to assume that the API kit is off. I didn't bother buying the Hanna standard cause I'd figure we get it free from the club anyways. :)

Also, no one seems to know how the new alk meter actually works - it confuses chemists. I haven't found anyone that has tested it with know solutions.

Except for you using the club standard that is!

I would get a third kit and test that - alk titration is pretty bulletproof.

I've gotten weird readings from a newly opened API alk test until after I shook the hell out of the reagent. Don't know if that's always the case, but I make a point to shake the bottle before using.

Oh, and the API did read high for me way back. That's why I put together the alk standards.

Useful info:

http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/763

I questioned several API alk results recently so I tested against the BAR standard. Flipped colors between 10th and 11th drops. So I guess the test kit didn't lie. End result - increased dosing required! In fact, I'm going to walk out there and check it right now.

Mr. Ugly said:
Oh, and the API did read high for me way back. That's why I put together the alk standards.

Useful info:

http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/763

That's some good research Norm! :) So I shook the kh solution and tested the standard again and at 10 it was blue green and 11 it turned yellow. So does this mean my API test kit is accurate? I tested my tank water again and changed to yellow at 9.

Keep in mind that my Hanna meter was showing 10.4 for the standard and 6.7. Damn, maybe this Hanna meter is not accurate. Might have to get another test kit to triple check.

I would try a 3rd kit of a different brand. I have had numerous problems with API test kits, and I have been using Salifert for about 1.5 years now and they have worked well for me. I was thinking of getting the new hanna meters, but I wanted to wait and see how they worked and if they are accurate before I bought them.

sfboarders said:
So does this mean my API test kit is accurate? I tested my tank water again and changed to yellow at 9.

Dunno, but API isn't as precise as I'd like.

That's why I use just their reagent with the Salifert syringes and the DIY alk standard. Accuracy and precision.

tuberider said:
I go through an API alk kit about every month and have yet to see one with any variance...
The conspiracy, is that your API test kits are always out of wack, but the tanks you service, adjust their parameters to fool you into stability :p

I should have waited to buy this meter. Seems like I'm not the only one with the meter reading low. Found a post on RC where users are experiencing the same thing.

Thales said:
Also, no one seems to know how the new alk meter actually works - it confuses chemists. I haven't found anyone that has tested it with known solutions.
ditto. from all the reading I have done from credible sources I don't trust that new Hanna meter.

Back