Neptune Aquatics

Waterbox Reef LX 270.6 build

gridman

Supporting Member
Hi everyone. Meet Mrs. Clownfish. (I know. Not very original.) I acquired her in 2005 from an LFS in Santa Rosa. She has been with us ever since. In fact, I have had a longer relationship with her than I have with my wife. ;) She survived 6 tank builds including 3 long distance moves. In fact she is in Utah right now with my wife where we spent the pandemic. Basically, the new Waterbox build we embarked upon last winter is for her.

I started the hobby in 2005 by repurposing a formally fresh water 55 gal glass tank. We have been going bigger ever since. Our last "permanent" setup was a 180 gal acrylic that ran since the end of 2012 until now. The pandemic and the ensuing work-from-home gave us an opportunity to spend some time in Utah so we decided to move the tank. My wife acquired a 100 gal used glass tank there and we split the livestock 30/70 between California and Utah partly because 100 gal was too small to accommodate all the live stock and partly to mitigate the risk of a catastrophic tank failure. It's a 12 hour drive not counting packing/unpacking. I had a ton of fun doing a new build in Utah. The picture below is from that tank about a year ago. The tank in California was left running unattended with full automation and remote monitoring. We had a very close call within the first month of leaving it unattended when our entire town was evacuated due to a wildfire. We had multiple power failures and the GFCI outlet the tank was plugged in failed despite the full house power backup. Oh the irony watching a dark tank on live security cameras. Since the town was evacuated we couldn't find anyone to come by to switch everything to a different outlet. The tank was without life support for almost 36 hours before my neighbor managed to break through the road blocks and come by the house. Miraculously, we did not lose any livestock. Mrs. Clownfish was in California at the time. What likely saved the day was August's weather -- it remained relatively warm. The large tank size also helped. My wife dispatched me to California to fetch the the fish as soon as the evacuation orders were lifted.

When the work-from-home ended, my wife remained in Utah to care for the tank while I came back to California to take down the old 180 gal acrylic that has gotten so old you could barely see through the haze and micro cracks. That was back in November. The new Waterbox was delivered to my garage a couple of weeks later where it's been sitting ever since. I finally took down the old 180 gal two weeks ago and am getting ready to put the new 600 lbs glass beast into its permanent location hopefully this weekend if I managed to get enough people to move it. I will update this thread with everything that has been done so far along with what we plan for the future.

More to come...

16AA1169-FE63-474D-B004-E015A3B83EE6.jpg

2013-03-09 18.43.52.jpg

This is the earliest decent picture I could find from the early 2013. She definitely grew a bit once we moved her from the 65 gal to 180 gal tank. We did not notice any other changes. I should mention that she outlived two "husbands" over the years. The first did not survive a move to LA in 2007. The second lived from 2010 to 2019 when he suddenly vanished. I don't know if he jumped out of the tank and the dogs got him or a crab snatched him in the tank. That seems likely since he was in that tank for almost 9 years. Her third "husband" is an almost white Ocellaris we nicknamed Mr. Whitey we got last year. They have bred once already. He is super shy and stays at the back of the tank so he is kinda hard to photograph.

This was her yesterday - I think she's using the neon spaghetti finger as her wheelchair and crutch. Of course every day we worry, and I'm always happy she's there at feeding time (as I do Mr. Whitey who is near impossible to spot but I see a bit of white flicker when I feed in the back). And we worry about the move back from Utah to Boulder Creek. Fingers crossed.

2022-04-04 19.25.59.jpg

A quick poll. Curious about what people think about the tank placement. I really wanted to do a backlight this go-around so the night look is important. Our dilemma is that the living room is quite small so the space is at a premium. We want to get the tank as close to the wall as possible without compromising the backlight spread. I thought long and hard about needing to get behind the tank and took steps to minimize or hopefully eliminate the need to do so. More on that later. Assuming the back access is not an issue, what is the best tradeoff between space and look? The tank's back is black so the cardboard is serving as a stand-in for the tank. Once the tank is on the stand, nothing is moving.

The following photos were taken at different distances from the wall. The camera did a pretty decent job capturing the color except the substantial amount of fluorescence to the left and right of the "tank". To the naked eye those spots are brighter than above the tank but color throughout is consistent. The photo in red was taken at 12" to give you and idea what I mean.

12 in backlight.jpg
12 inches from the wall
10 in backlight.jpg

10 inches from the wall
6 in backlight.jpg
6 inches from the wall
3 in backlight.jpg
3 inches from the wall

You can see a pretty substantial difference between 3 and 12 inches. Three inches is definitely out. What do you guys think between 6, 10 and 12? Which one is the best compromise?

12 in red.jpg

Last edited:
Back