High Tide Aquatics

What sheen varnish to finish my oak stand ?

JustinBolton

Supporting Member
Using total boat glee varnish and built up 9 coats, looks deep and really good. I am debating on leaving it gloss or finishing one last coat with satin to cut down the shine. My dilemma is even though it looks good currently in gloss (sitting in the garage), I am afraid it will take away from the tank and the rest of the room. What sheen did others use, any feedback/experiences ?

IMG_5327.jpeg

Gloss left 1x6, satin right (1x4)

IMG_5307.jpeg

Nice work indeed! DIY but not crazy overbuilt.

I don't think gloss will take away from the tank once it's up, but u might have woodworker guys oogling over your stand instead of the tank :p. I'd make the decision based on how it works with the rest of the furniture in the room. For me, my aesthetic is more of a modern style with a lot of my furniture and fixtures in matte/satin, so I'd finish the stand similar.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback!

For the top and bottom I have 3/4” birch (unfortunately I need 6’ and Baltic is only 5’x5’ or I would of went Baltic birch), I plan on painting them all 6 sides in sherwin Williams exterior urethane paint. Really like this paint and is very durable. For the bottom on top of the sump shelf, I am going to get a piece of 1/4” starboard from tap plastic and run a bead of 2K silicone that we use on solar modules.

My partner likes the gloss, mind you in the garage, so I think I am going to bring it in home as is and see what we (she) thinks. Most of our home, (wood floors and cabinets are satin so see what happens. I feel satin is the right answer, just having a hard time committing.

Back