Reef nutrition

When you mix your own saltwater

I remember when I first started the hobby, I spoke to a fellow enthusiast, and I recall him mentioning a couple bits about mixing your own salt water at home. What I walked away with after that conversation was ultimately, you want to add the desired amount of synthetic salt mix to the appropriate amount of water; not the other way around.

So if I were mixing 4g of saltwater, I would normally get my 4g of freshwater, and then add my two cups of synthetic salt mix. What would happen then if I had my bucket; dumped two cups of synthetic salt mix into the bucket, and then proceed to fill the bucket with 4g of water? Mind you, I mix my salt by means of the latter method -salt to water :)

I vaguely remember something about chemical imbalances, and precipitation of something when you add water to the salt, due to the momentary extreme hyper-salinity when you begin adding water to the salt. I was just wondering if there was any truth in this.

So really, what happens when you add salt then water? Nothing? If not, can you elaborate?
Thanks!

Sounds like a wives tale.
Although there technically could be an issue for a moments time as you pour in the water to the salt it could excite the ions enough to draw a lightning strike. If you must do this then just do it in the privacy of your own home. :bigsmile:

If you're mixing a bunch of salt water, and you add water to the salt, the initial mix is super concentrated and makes your calcium and alk precipitate out.

So you can get lowered levels of Ca and alk, and your water will be cloudy.

Thanks Norman -cloudy due to the calcium carbonate precipitate I assume? Is this bad to add to the tank? Also, you mention this occurs when you mix "a bunch of salt water..." so is there a minimum gallon-age at which this will most likely occur? 4g? 50g?

John -maybe we can try to mix salt this way at your place during a lightning storm, and put this up to scientific scrutiny :D

A_Lee said:
Thanks Norman -cloudy due to the calcium carbonate precipitate I assume? Is this bad to add to the tank? Also, you mention this occurs when you mix "a bunch of salt water..." so is there a minimum gallon-age at which this will most likely occur? 4g? 50g?

John -maybe we can try to mix salt this way at your place during a lightning storm, and put this up to scientific scrutiny :D
No problem.
I have a grounding probe :D

A_Lee said:

Yep, calcium carbonate. Maybe some magnesium salts too. Shouldn't be any worse a problem to add to the tank compared to kicking up a sand storm.

As far as how much water you are making....

If you are making 4 gallons of saltwater in a bucket by dumping 4 gallons of FW from another bucket on top of the salt, I wouldn't expect any precipitation problem.

If you are making 24 gallons of saltwater in a Brute, and you have all the salt in the container, and you are adding FW 4 gallons at a time from that previous bucket, then I would expect precipitation problems because you have a concentrated mix for an extended period of time.

will it help to let the mix (salt and water) stand for a couple of days before adding this mix to the tank?
I mean to ensure that the salt has been dissolved and the precipitation issues are controlled.
I do add water to the salt method.

Couple days is unnecessary ime. I have good 3 pumps (circulating pump and 2 koralias) that I use in my mixing brute plus 2 heaters. Salinity is stable after a few hours.

(and I add salt to water)

I normally keep my water mixed for 5-6 days at a time, just in case I need it during the period between water changes; granted it is only 8g at a time. But I have mixed SW in a more hasty manner in the past, and let it mix for couple hours, or until the water is clear.

I keep ~15 gallons ready and heated all the time. Never know when you need it in an emergency. I insulated my brute so that it retains it's heat fairly well.

Back