High Tide Aquatics

Where to buy sand?

Can you guys recommend a LFS in SF or the peninsula that has good prices and a variety of different kinds of sand? Any places online I can check out? TIA! :)

It's been a while since I've looked into the aragonite sand market, however last I recall everyone is roughly the same price. You might find a cheaper price online however shipping will kill any cost savings.

Give a call to either Aquatic Central, Ocean Treasures, or Lucky Ocean (sorry I don't have the numbers handy), they're all LFS in SF, and bar sponsors. Make sure you specifically ask for aragonite sand though, as it's much more costlier than silica based sand... and if you wonder if it matters? Well that's a whole other topic of discussion :D

On the peninsula I go to either of the Pet Clubs, they get their sand through Aquatic Rocks (Doug), it's real clean with very little dust. You can get #1-10 there along with crushed coral $40 for 50lbs.

Just wondering how many inches your sand bed is.

@sfsuphysics - I've been going to Aquatic Central lately but haven't looked at sand prices. Next time I'll check it out. I've been to Lucky Ocean but parking sux in the Richmond.

@Elite & jussmeac - I may have to take you up on your offer!

@tuberider - I went to San Mateo Pet Club last night and checked out the sand there which made me bring this question up. Are you talking about the bags of the sand or the sand you scoop out on your own?

John, not to step on Phong's or Jussmeac's offer, but I'm going to be switching around tanks in the next couple of days and will have some fresh, live aragonite substrate (mixed grade, lotsa worms / critters / etc.) available. Shoot me an email at "rbittner@triu.com" if you're interested.

Robin

I know this may sound silly but can you use sand from the beaches in the Bay Area? Is it even possible to use ocean water? Sorry, super n00b questions. :bigsmile:

Hey John, the sand in the bags and the scooping sand are the same, just make sure the bag is labeled with the size you want (most likely #1)

John, no worries... it sounded like you were on a short timeframe so I thought I'd jump in. I'm going to keep the sand if I don't recylce it, so when you're ready just give me a shout.

tuberider said:
Hey John, the sand in the bags and the scooping sand are the same, just make sure the bag is labeled with the size you want (most likely #1)

I just checked out Pet Club in SM and are you talking about those brown 50 lb bags #1 that are made by some concrete company (can't remember the brand)?

Nope they are in plastic "burlap" type bags, the paper ones are conventional sand. The one in South SF has more stuff, so you may want to try them, plus they have a cat shark in a 14g nano which is always fun to roll your eyes at :D

tuberider said:
Nope they are in plastic "burlap" type bags, the paper ones are conventional sand. The one in South SF has more stuff, so you may want to try them, plus they have a cat shark in a 14g nano which is always fun to roll your eyes at :D

Thanks tuberider for the info. The SSF one is down the street from me so I'll check that one out.

tuberider said:
You up the hill from there? If so we're pretty dern close to each other, perhaps there is a surf in the future :)

Yea, I live in SSF and work in FC so that's why I check out the Pet Club in SM. Just lmk when you wanna catch some waves. 8)

Thanks Jeremy for the info. I checked out Pet Club and they only have 1 bag of that #1 coral sand for $40. I went to Aquatic Central and have the same stuff for $35 but Chris only has 1 bag. I'll go there when Chris gets another shipment.

BTW that shark in the nano is pretty sick. Too bad it wasn't for sale cause I would buy that for my son's room. :)

I also have dead sand you can have (5 gal. bucket amount, needs washing). Let me know and I'll bring it to the next meeting if you are going to be there. :)

I ended up buying some sand at the LFS. Anyone have some live sand they'd like to sell or donate? :) I just need enough to seed my tank. LMK. Thanks!

Back