Cali Kid Corals

Where to find stocktanks

Hi all,

Well, my paranoid side has finally gotten the best of me. The used 40 gallon refugium I got just doesn't look like it'll hold any water. It's bowing about .25" on both front and back panels, it's got a chip on one of the corners, and the center brace has been melted somewhat and bends inwards; I'll post a picture later. To me, this just doesn't seem like a safe tank to use.

As such, I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a similarly sized stocktank or "reef safe" rubbermaid tote. I'd rather get a stocktank, as I read those are safer to use and much more sturdier than the totes. I've also heard the totes can leech chemicals into the water...can anyone confirm that?

In any case, thanks in advance!

Don't worry so much. I had a 100G that was WAY beat up. A little extra bracing and it could withstand the apocalypse. I don't know your specifics, but I'll bet you could reinforce the bowing with a decent sized baffle and be good to go. As for the chip and melting, just glue an extra support piece behind it and you'll be OK.

Hi Dyngoe,

Thanks for the advice, but I don't think I want to risk it. I lack the handiness and materials for it and I'm really starting to worry my wife :(.

Haha, did some more research, and now I'm not too comfortable about Rubbermaid totes either. Do you know where I can get acrylic sheets and glue in the Dublin area? I figure Lowe's, but I want to make sure. And would you know of a good resource/article that goes over the gluing process?

Thanks again Dyngoe.

Back