Kessil

who doesn't QT their fish?

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=4852.msg59128#msg59128 date=1224118289]
I use different dips for different things, I used to rely on FW dips used the same way as Lap described. Lately though due to plague level proportions of flukes coming from one of our local wholesalers (not ASAP), I've been using Prazi Pro with pretty good luck.
[/quote]

Which fish are okay to be FW dipped, and which are not? is there a general rule?

[quote author=the37thchamber link=topic=4852.msg59184#msg59184 date=1224166132]
never quarantine....people are going to hate me but..if it doesnt survive in my tank,it doesn't belong there.
[/quote]

Yeah, but I think more or less many people QT more for reducing the risk of transmitting any pathogens or the sort into their main tank. Now if it doesn't make it through QT, then yeah it probably didn't belong in your main tank to begin with :p

never quarantine....people are going to hate me but..if it doesnt survive in my tank,it doesn't belong there.
[/quote]

BAR seeks to promote, foster and encourage education and appreciation for the ethical husbandry and propagation of marine life

[/quote]

Point taken, but as pointed out by A_Lee, even if your new fish survives in your main tank without QT doesn't mean that you aren't infected all your other fish with ick!

As far as I know, the most effective treatment for ich is to QT a fish in a bare bottom tank for a week or two.

I've had 3 fish die in QT though...

V

I QT in a 10 gallon tank in the bathroom for at least 2 weeks. I have had fish die in QT too. Glad I didn't add it to my display tank

some fish die in QT due to stree, if you want to QT fish, make sure that the tank is big enough. I don't believe a 10 gallon or even 20 gallon is sufficient for a QT tank, unless you only get really small fish.
I use to have a 45 gallon QT tank but not anymore, I now dip my fish before and when purchase, make sure to look for all the good sign like nice color, fat, eating, etc...

Since I only have 1 fish...is it technically always in QT from the other fish? :p

I think I'll do a QT though when ever I start up my "big" tank.

I QT everything. Had a battle with Ich a few years back and never want to do that again. I setup a dedicated QT system a few years back. They system is a 75g bare bottom tank with a wet dry filter in the sump and a little ER skimmer. I use Cupramine for 2 weeks on all fish if they show signs of ich or not. The problem with dipping or not QT'ing them for atleast a fews weeks is there is a chance the fish could be very healthy looking but still have a minor case of ich in its gills so you would not see any physical signs. I just have way to many fish in my large FOWLR system and just will not risk Ich again.

Back