High Tide Aquatics

Diver's Paradise: Take Two!

Hey just to throw in my own calc/alk dosing observations:

I once dosed 1:1 to get what i wanted. after my tank crash:

1. I had to dose more calcium than alk.
2. Then my alk was down and my calc skyrocketed (520 ppm)
3. And for now my levels are where i expect them to be after readjusting. This took months.

.. and unfortunately for me, upgrading my reef angel caused all of my dosing timers to reset. So now I have to figure this out now.

Btw, for mixing my BRS alk, I had to buy new alk component from BRS. The old one I had would not mix correctly. Even with the new stuff, I have to mix little by little, and shake the hell out of the container before adding more water & alk. Otherwise it would immediately settle.

Yeah it seems like the imbalance in what I needed to dose must just be a weird thing with the new tank since BIonic should be balanced. Since I'm not dosing more Ca than I was at the beginning, I think it will equal out now. I'll probably just stick to B-Ionic since its easy and just have some extra Ca component. Based on this, I decided to order a second BRS dosing pump to use for the Ca component, so that should arrive this week.

Just some fun shots of the clowns. The anemones are really coloring up beautifully
smile.png

IMG_8403Edit.jpg

IMG_8394Edit.jpg

IMG_8392Edit.jpg

IMG_8398Edit.jpg

IMG_8424Edit.jpg

Huge photo update from last night.

New FTS 5/29/14
IMG_6809Edit.jpg

I managed to catch the flasher wrasse attempting to jump. I was crouched near the tank to take these photos and he actually managed to splash water on me. He's like Shamu and there's a splash zone
laugh.png

IMG_6815Edit.jpg

Left Side
IMG_6930.jpg

Center
IMG_6919.jpg

Right Side
IMG_6933.jpg

Reactions: Nav
Tank inhabitants!

Algae Blenny
IMG_7014.jpg

Cleaner Shrimp
IMG_6880.jpg

One of the new sexy shrimp
IMG_6818.jpg

Clowns
IMG_6842.jpg

And a blurry shot of the leopard wrasse. She's just too tiny and cute not to include a photo of her.
IMG_6982.jpg

I think its now ANEMONE TIME!!!
happydance.gif
Gotta show them off since I now have 13 in here! I have a problem
blush.png

VIP Reef Rock Flower
IMG_6821.jpg

Tiny saltcritters rock flower and my ATL Fire Polyp Undata (only SPS left in the tank)
IMG_6826.jpg

Newest rock flower (from Aquarium Concept in Dublin)
IMG_6892.jpg

Group of the ones that are smushed together
smile.png

IMG_6829.jpg

Tube anemones
IMG_6855.jpg

My favorite BTA
wub.png

IMG_6897.jpg

Alright, now how about some corals...

Euphyllia Land (Look at the adorable leopard wrasse!)
IMG_6868.jpg

Symphyllia brain
IMG_6894.jpg

Elegance
IMG_6832.jpg

Muricea Gorgonian
IMG_6906.jpg

Orange Tree Gorgonian
IMG_6883Edit.jpg

Dendros. For some reason one of the two heads lost flesh on me right after I got it, but the other head is doing great. Now the head that lost tissue is sprouting like 6 different baby heads! They're still super tiny though. Also, look at the COLOR on the KPA rock! So glad I went this route instead of dry rock again.
IMG_6885Edit.jpg

Derasa Clam
IMG_6950.jpg

Newest zoanthids from the trade with one of my Nano-reef friends.
IMG_6948.jpg

Zoa Garden #1
IMG_6888.jpg

Zoa Garden #2
IMG_6886.jpg

Good job. I can't wait for my tank to look like this! Haha so far I'm just competing with the sea kelp display at the Monterey aquarium.

Love the elegance.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Good job. I can't wait for my tank to look like this! Haha so far I'm just competing with the sea kelp display at the Monterey aquarium.

Love the elegance.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Thank you! Yeah, oddly my live rock didn't have any break outs of algae. I think maybe its just a difference in how each tank cycles or something. Also, I added my CUC pretty early, so maybe they took care of the issue before it happened? Who knows! Your tank will be here soon enough, I'm sure :)

I really love the elegance too! I picked it up at the Reef Raft opening. I was worried it wouldn't do well for me since they're notoriously touchy and my tank was REALLY new, but its done amazing and is definitely growing.

OMG!

Your tank is bad ass. I love your gardens..I especially love the Orange Gorgonian. That's one of my favorite NPS. I tried keeping one years ago..but I failed.

How long have you had it? Growth? Tips!?

Also, I may have missed it earlier, forgive me. But I saw your "only SPS left", is there a reason you kept the Undata? It's very pretty.

Back