got ethical husbandry?

Our DSA Neo 105 Build

I really like that overflow! I know, dumb thing to notice lol. But normally they look ugly and stick out like a sore thumb.
But yours is very sleek and fits right in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I needed a way to route cables and also punch a hole in my inner wall because the sump pump cord was too short to reach around the back of the stand.
I decided to install Panduit Cable Manages that I bought at Wierd Stuff Warehouse a few years back. Then I used a heat bender to bend it, although you could just simply cut it if you wanted.
Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 4.07.02 PM.png

The nice thing about these cable managers is the covers hinge. I mounted the cable managers with a 1/4" spacer on top to allow room for the covers to hinge up out of the way when added/removing cables.
Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 4.07.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 4.07.48 PM.png

Next, I cut a pass through into the dry side. Even though I was careful, I scuffed it a bit. In this pic I had just added a little Bondo and sanded.
Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 4.08.25 PM.png

Here's what it looked like after a little paint touch-up.
Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 4.08.46 PM.png

Looks like it had always been there. Right?
Note: the wire managers line up with the cutout, but were removed during the addition of the cutout.
Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 4.08.57 PM.png

Next post, the tank will actually move to my house and get water, soon to be followed by aquascaping.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 4.08.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 4.08.08 PM.png
    538.7 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Depending on how much return flow you will run, you will probably have to extend the emergency n secondary drain higher.

In a bean animal, the water level in the overflow is just over the bottom of the horizontal leg on the secondary.

The drop from the grate in the overflow to that level is pretty big and will likely cause splashing noises.

I ran into the same issue with mine.

Great setup! I have the same overflow but plumbed it very differently. What does that siphon pipe do? Sorry - don't know much about plumbing.

Great setup! I have the same overflow but plumbed it very differently. What does that siphon pipe do? Sorry - don't know much about plumbing.
The siphon will drain a lot of water fast and quiet. The durso functions a little louder because it pulls air down with the water into the sump. I use the gate valve to dial in siphon flow to match the amount of water going into the overflow.

Finally got water in the tank the night before the BAR frag swap.
Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 4.09.55 PM.png

Rocks from the ice chest helping to cycle the tank.
Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 4.12.53 PM.png

Some of the frags are from the frag swap. Thanks everyone.
Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 4.13.13 PM.png

This last weekend I began dismantling the scape from our 90 gallon bow front and staged almost everything in the new tank so I could get the lower base rock out of the old tank and begin constructing the new rock formations.
Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 4.14.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 4.14.30 PM.png

Last edited:
Wow that's a lot of stuff. Can't imagine trying to setup scape and figure out placement all in the same area...

I had been really looking forward to building the aquascape. It was a little crazy at first with so much rock and so many corals. I was kind of like, where should I begin, but you'll see I am off to a pretty good start.
Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 4.14.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 4.14.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 4.15.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 4.15.37 PM.png

A few shots in the tank. You can see it's basically a big frag rack. I was thinking I'd make the arm without hole mostly Zoas.
(Top Down)
Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 3.48.30 PM.png

(Straight on from Front)
Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 3.48.49 PM.png

(Right Side of Tank)
Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 3.49.08 PM.png

Depending on how much return flow you will run, you will probably have to extend the emergency n secondary drain higher.

In a bean animal, the water level in the overflow is just over the bottom of the horizontal leg on the secondary.

The drop from the grate in the overflow to that level is pretty big and will likely cause splashing noises.

I ran into the same issue with mine.

Vincent, great eye! You are spot on with your overflow observation. I ended up making the durso, syphon and emergency overflow longer and I even added a flange to the inside of my overflow lid. The water pours through the grate and onto the flange to quiet it. I cut the a window in the top of the flange so if it were to get plugged up, the water could just go over it.
Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 3.47.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 3.48.11 PM.png

Last edited:
The scape is coming together nicely! I really like the shelfs and how there is lots of open room for the corals to grow and fish to swim :) I've always been a fan of scales where lots of negative space is used. Nice work! I've enjoyed watching this tank come together.

Gebus Christmas.... there's that one youtube guy "The King of DIY" but I think I'm going to ask for a revote, because you're a fricking artist with what you're doing on that tank.

Haha thanks guys! I actually like watching his channel. He is in the process of building a large fish house. Wish I could find time to put together videos like he does.

Yeah I like watching him occasionally, although I watch a few videos and I find out how many people have channels about their tanks (most of which I don't want to hear about). I liked his big epoxy & plywood bottom build he did with a large 4-side viewable tank. Unfortunately gives me dangerous ideas watching him :D

I see a Ryobi osc. tool, did you use that to cut/flatten the rock?

Yeah, I used it a little. It cuts through the rock pretty well. I try to find rocks that naturally fit together, but you can help them fit a little better with the osc tool. I also shape the emaco to match and look like the rock structure and extend the rock up to make a few extra connection points when joining some of the pieces.

I tried it long ago with a Dremel blade and it went dull pretty fast, guess a carbide grit might be a better choice for the task. I'm tempted to use a concrete grinding cup on a right angle grinder to make the rock flat, just tempted; have too many projects lined up.
Pretty nice job on the acrylic !

Back