Jestersix

Hello there!

My tank is somewhat "established", but it was neglected as we had a baby -> toddler -> soon to be kindergartener that took priority for a bit. During that time, we had only had two clown fish, chromis and damsels that I thought were chromis until Erin told me they were imposters.

I met Erin through Dr. Heath's office. He takes care of their tank and I was always in awe of the corals. They are my favorite. He's been by a few times with his magic natural saltwater for water changes and tank recommendations.

He's made recommendations along that way like adding more light, flow and a skimmer. We had a skimmer years ago, but it died and when I couldn't find a replacement pump, it went bye bye. Skimmer is doing well and pulling grossness from the tank. I can't believe we went so long without one.

I made a huge mistake a few weeks back and Erin is helping to get the tank stable again. Corals are doing much better, Erin. They aren't nearly as pissed off as a few days ago. Thank you!

My question was going to be...if you had to use a mix over the magic Erin saltwater, what would you use??? Thank you for the recos! I will search for the thread on Fritz.

Just a note:
The exact type of salt water is not particularly magical.
Doing large water changes, as Erin loves to push, is the real magic.
And it really is. So many tank issues are basically some sort of water quality issue.
And those can be so well solved by a period of large water changes.
We just don't listen to him enough ... because water is heavy, and we are lazy. :)

Just a note:
The exact type of salt water is not particularly magical.
Doing large water changes, as Erin loves to push, is the real magic.
And it really is. So many tank issues are basically some sort of water quality issue.
And those can be so well solved by a period of large water changes.
We just don't listen to him enough ... because water is heavy, and we are lazy. :)
And he is Erin...jk

Question 2: I have to replace my Blue Life water containers. Do you have any recommendations? I have only been able to find them on Walmart and PetMountain.com. I checked some of the BAR sponsors, but am coming up empty.

Are those the 5g white containers? Why do you need to replace them?
I still have a few of those left (I'm the hobbyist that's not "in the hobby")

I've had two containers full of water break inside of the house as they were being transported to the tank. Sigh... They were sometimes stored outside and Erin mentioned the sun could have degraded them. They were also 12+ years old.

Thanks for the recos. I will try both companies.

I can spare a couple, in SF. I might cross the bridge soon.
UV rays degrade plastics badly; cable, phone and even tires are black due to that issue.

I actually flinched when I read you had full containers break inside when carrying them. One more little nagging worry to have in the back of my mind... and another reason to set my top off and water changes up to be more automated in my new tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I actually found a 2 buckets to be easier to carry than rolling out and rolling back up 40 feet of tubing. Now you do bigger water changes, and I do smaller changes more frequently so that might be part of it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. The buckets were carrying RO, I store a container next to the sump to top the tank off. Erin mentioned there was an easier way to do this...probably next on the list of things to-do.

I called Aquatic (super nice) and unfortunately, they might be a bit too far a drive. I was hoping to be able to purchase them online/over the phone and have them shipped.

Ok, for the site experts, how the heck to I change my profile name? I realized that everyone uses a screen name. LOL (slightly embarrassed).

I called Aquatic (super nice) and unfortunately, they might be a bit too far a drive. I was hoping to be able to purchase them online/over the phone and have them shipped.
).

Depending on your needs, Drs Foster and Smith will ship for free and carry several brands with reasonable pricing.

Back