Neptune Aquatics

Just Joined

Greetings!
I just joined and thought I would intro. myself. My name is Mark and I am Peter B.'s dad. I have had aquariums for the last 35 years or so, although I have had salt tanks, but never had a reef set-up, until now. Currently we have 5 tanks going. We have a 100, 55, and 45 set up with fresh water and a 25 reef and a 65 that we have set up for a reef, although at the moment it is pretty much just growing brown algae. Peter has shown such a passion for the reef tanks that I feel I need to support him 100% (even if it sends us to the poor house :)
Mark

Welcome! You will see many of us at the reefers poor house once you're sent there.

Is the 65 in the middle of a cycle? Or just awaiting some TLC?

Hey Randy,
It has been running about a month. We really tried to do this one on a shoe-string budget. Free tank and old pumps and a homemade protein skimmer. It was getting close to finishing its cycle and we came across a free 60 bag of crushed coral that was better than the sand we had so I vacuumed out all of the old and now we are back to waiting. Trying to get the lighting squared away too.

Hey Randy,
It has been running about a month. We really tried to do this one on a shoe-string budget. Free tank and old pumps and a homemade protein skimmer. It was getting close to finishing its cycle and we came across a free 60 bag of crushed coral that was better than the sand we had so I vacuumed out all of the old and now we are back to waiting. Trying to get the lighting squared away too.

If you're doing this on a shoe-string budget, talk to that dood (@ashburn2k). I believe his total cost (minus power and salt) is zero. :)

Craigslist free list will be your best source of free stuff, I got my 50+ rocks off the cl and also here, watch out for pay it forward section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter - Thanks little buddy!!
Ashburn2k - No sump. Have been scouring c/l looking for a tank 75 gallons+ with an overflow or a large plex to drill and a plex 55 to use as a sump
Edgar - It was great meeting you and seeing your beautiful tank. Peter is thrilled with the corals that you gave him! Thank You!!

Mark B
Welcome to our place in space and thank you for becoming a $upporting member.
It shows you commitment and this club can save you a lot of money.
But for the aquarium itself buy a brand new tank with a full warranty
I've seen what that box of water looks like...all over the floor
I hope it never happens but if needed you'll be happy you have it

Last edited:
Hey Randy,

Welcome to the club!
I have a skimer you can have, nice old skool, last one of the ER colection

Mark B
Welcome to our place in space and thank you for becoming a $upporting member.
It shows you commitment and this club can save you a lot of money.
But for the aquarium itself buy a brand new tank with a full warranty
I've seen what that box of water looks like...all over the floor
I hope it never happens but if needed you'll be happy you have it
Yea, I had a 55 let go and it took a week and several hundred $ to clean up.

Ouch is right! I had just finished filling it for the first time, took a step back to admire it, and boom! The whole front glass popped off and 55 gallons hit the floor in a nano-second.

That's why I always fill a used tank with water and leave it outside for a few days before being it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back