Reef nutrition

Mike and Ashley's 150g reef tank (our first)

So I installed my RO/DI system and it went in nicely, except for a few of the factory installed lines leaked and needed replacing. I made about 20 gallons of water and moved it up and back between tanks to check that everything was working. It has been sitting for a few days and no leaks. Today, I looked inside the smaller tank and there is a few spots maybe 1 cm in diameter of brown/green on the bottom of the tank. I stuck a pole with a paper towel into the tank and it wiped off, and it appears to be some type of growth (slime). Bummer.

Do I break down and drain the tanks (the only way to get every drop of water out of them) and "clean" them? Would I use a diluted bleach? If so, what concentration and how long should I let the tanks sit in the solution? Then flush the cleaner out with RO/DI water? Open to suggestions, thanks!

Best regards,
Mike
RODI.jpg

I'm tempted to clean them, as don't want to start off a new tank putting something unknown into the water/DT. Thoughts on cleaning?

Thanks,
Mike

OK, thanks!

A couple gallons of vinegar are now marinating in both tanks. I'll let them sit for a few days and rinse them out this weekend.

Saturday is plumbing day. The tubing arrived today and the fittings are due Thursday. Should be fun.

Last edited:
Not to dump on another member's sale, but if you are thinking of going that route, maybe talk to Jesterix too. I'm not sure what his prices are, but he's got some definite skills to do things that seem to defy gravity.

We love our Jestersix scape. He's also full of an infinite amount of tank wisdom, so you get lots of consultation on your tank when he's installing a scape. Which, for newbies like us, was invaluable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Phuong for the pair of 10g tanks (for QT), Bayer, and cement! Everyone in the club is so nice/helpful.

Started in on the plumbing - wow that takes a lot of time. So far I have the 1 1/2" drains done. Decided to slightly change what I am doing with the returns, so I need to order a few fittings so I won't get any work done on it until next weekend. Here is what it looks like so far.
Drain - front.jpg

Drain - rear.jpg

man I remember when plumbing used to be the ugliest part of a tank build, plain white with whatever color primer you used at all the joints bleeding all over the place... now it's all color coordinated..

Back