Holiday BAR Event - Saturday, Dec 19

RSVP

• Total voters

Wlachnit

Past President
Charles Delbeek to speak about the Steinhart Twilight Exhibit

*Steinhart Aquarium - Twilight Zone: Deep Reefs Revealed
(is the complete exhibit name)

Charles Delbeek has accepted our invitation to present to BAR on Sat Dec 19 on the Steinhart Twilight exhibit at 1p.

This is open to all supporting members. We also plan to have BAR members show off their tank following the presentation. If you are interested in showing off your tank, let us know! The more, the merrier!

I will send out a link on the Friday before to all those that have RSVPd using the Poll response.

I can show off my tank.

In the previous call someone mentioned a bulk order of orange filter film, but they were on zoom with their real name. Whoever that was, are you still willing to share some so people can show their tanks off over zoom? I know @Kim Pattison would Like to get some of that film

I can show off my tank.

In the previous call someone mentioned a bulk order of orange filter film, but they were on zoom with their real name. Whoever that was, are you still willing to share some so people can show their tanks off over zoom? I know @Kim Pattison would Like to get some of that film

I believe this was @jccaclimber
@max_nano @Kim Pattison @BleepBloopMunchMunch
That’s me. I have a roll of Rosco Cinegel Sun 85. A friend ordered about 20 different orange filters and found that one was the most accurate. Of course that was for the phone and camera we had at the time. No longer perfectly accurate with my current cell phone, but it does work pretty well. I don’t mind handing some out in person near Twin Peaks park in SF, or just mailing a square to a bunch of people who want to participate. I don't want to play show and tell with my tank, but wouldn't mind watching others.

Here is a before and after with the filter from a few years ago. Must have been shortly after I set the tank up because once the desjardini discovered he liked ulva the tank was cleared of it in under 24 hours.

stylo unfiltered.jpg
stylo rosco cinegel sun 85.jpg

*edit - our posts crossed, but I also have some Rosco RS340811 (orange) gel film I can cut into 3”x3” squares or so and share by mail for anyone who plans to show off their tank. You still need to run some whites and turn your blues down while using the orange film.

^Also please get your orange filters ready so we can see your tank in its true colors!
Does the filter actually give "true colors" though? Or does it just knock back the over abundance of blue? I've noticed most filters give quite a bit of "fake color" especially to corals that fluoresce quite a bit. Now I'm not showing off the lagoon for all the aiptasia and cyano in it currently, but maybe I can get a piece via Mike and do some testing to compare to my current camera filters.

Does the filter actually give "true colors" though? Or does it just knock back the over abundance of blue? I've noticed most filters give quite a bit of "fake color" especially to corals that fluoresce quite a bit. Now I'm not showing off the lagoon for all the aiptasia and cyano in it currently, but maybe I can get a piece via Mike and do some testing to compare to my current camera filters.
Wouldnt that depend on your spectrum? I believe the amount of yellow or orange in the filter is dependent on the amount of blues. The lens kits available with one filter use a combination of orange and yellow that must work with the average spectrum people run.

Wouldnt that depend on your spectrum? I believe the amount of yellow or orange in the filter is dependent on the amount of blues. The lens kits available with one filter use a combination of orange and yellow that must work with the average spectrum people run.

this used to be a lot cheaper, I think I paid between $5-10. Spectrum will matter and if you want to see what gel works out best for you, this comes with a whole slew of colors to test out.

Rosco Rosco Lux Small Swatchbook https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0002ER...i_glc_fabc_j582FbQ4R4RRA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Oh sure it depends on spectrum, but the vast majority of LEDs out there do put out a lot of energy with "royal blue" LEDs, with the next probably as "blue" with some subtle variations between manufacturers on what exactly those colors mean, so a general filter will probably be good for most if it covers those two parts of the spectrum. Obviously your mileage may vary based on what exactly lights/spectrum you run but the real use of filters (at least for me) is to knock down the blue part of the spectrum because that's what tends to over saturate camera sensors and completely blows out images with blue light, even the most Windexy of blue tanks don't tend to look that washed out to a camera shot sans filters (whether physical or software). That's why I always laughed at frag markets where some vendors had yellow tinted glasses to "see what the corals really look like" and it's like... ummm ... riiiiiight.

For me a filter should make a picture taken with a camera (or phone) look as close as possible as what it looks like to my eye, not make things "look better" as a picture. But yeah there absolutely is going to be variations between different types of filters, different types of cameras depending on their quality of white balancing they have, as well as what colors the coral are as greens and oranges are affected by filters differently. As I mentioned in the review I did for the Icecap filter that I posted some time back.

For me a filter should make a picture taken with a camera (or phone) look as close as possible as what it looks like to my eye, not make things "look better" as a picture.
I think this is how and why most people use these camera filters, to make the pic look like what their eyes/brain sees. And that’s what I’d recommend people shoot for on our tank tours.

Does anyone have any apps to recommend that make it easier to do White balance adjustments? I was playing around with the Adobe Lightroom app but couldn’t get it to work well

Back