Reef nutrition

Protein Skimmer for a 75gal?

thesassyindian

Supporting Member
Hello folks,
Asking this on behalf of a friend. Can y'all please chime in?
I don't know enough about skimmers.
Thank you!

any opinions on a protein skimmer for a ~75 gallon? i have a pretty light bioload right now with 4-5 (small) corals and 9 fish. based on some research, i was looking at the reef octopus 110int but i get scared of some bad reviews. would love any experience. thanks!

Thanks Josh for your continued generosity! He lives in Miami and the local groups aren't very helpful, so he asked me to post on here.
Well, darn.

I think Reef Octopus is a solid manufacturer, and the Varios controllable pumps are great. I actually have the 200-INT SSS on my tank right now and it makes dialing everything in a cinch. There's also this one: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef...D=1169&indexName=brs_prod_m2_default_products

Simplicity is also another solid manufacturer, and the 120 may be right up his alley: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/120d...=15797&indexName=brs_prod_m2_default_products

If possible, I'd suggest a DC/controllable skimmer for him, simply because it makes everything so much easier to dial in (and stay dialed in). I'd also recommend oversizing very slightly (skimmers usually have low, med, and heavy bioload sizing recs on their pages) and, if at all possible, getting one with an external pump to make cleaning easier.

Thanks Josh for your continued generosity! He lives in Miami and the local groups aren't very helpful, so he asked me to post on here.
I wasn't super blown away by the LFS locations when I visited last year. However, Strictly Fish seemed the nicest, but hardware wise it was mostly Red Sea. They did have some reef octopus ones but I can't remember what model.

I wasn't super blown away by the LFS locations when I visited last year. However, Strictly Fish seemed the nicest, but hardware wise it was mostly Red Sea. They did have some reef octopus ones but I can't remember what model.
To be fair, I think we're just absolutely spoiled, both for choice and for quality, in the bay area. I had similar takeaways when I went to Portland and Seattle a couple years ago.

Do you really need a skimmer for such light bio load? I remove the skimmer on my 65g and things seems to be doing well.

You should ask your friend what is he trying to fix with the skimmer.

I don't know the sizing recs, but I've got a BM Curve 5 they're welcome to have if they want to try that

I would be intrested in this if the other guy doesn't get it from you, I recently traded coral for a used 65 gallon with sump, that didn't include a skimmer. I will definitely be looking for a used skimmer soon. Let me know what you would want for it? I'll be at the swap.

I would be intrested in this if the other guy doesn't get it from you, I recently traded coral for a used 65 gallon with sump, that didn't include a skimmer. I will definitely be looking for a used skimmer soon. Let me know what you would want for it? I'll be at the swap.
If @thesassyindian doesn't want it for his friend, it's yours at no charge. Just give a frag or two to a member in the future.

Back