Our mission

Acan stung by chalice

BleepBloopMunchMunch

Supporting Member
Looked at the tank today to my bucket o’ fun chalice on top of my acan colony, moved it and it had stung and melted away some of the polyps. The rest look fine but should I do anything like dip the coral and remove the stung tissue? Seems like I wouldn’t want to stress it out more but unsure if there is any benefit to removing what’s died
AC418EB2-90AA-4F1E-B91A-EA7A03E8D077.jpeg
644E3925-EA0D-424A-9B96-D8D3F35A73C0.jpeg

Looked at the tank today to my bucket o’ fun chalice on top of my acan colony, moved it and it had stung and melted away some of the polyps. The rest look fine but should I do anything like dip the coral and remove the stung tissue? Seems like I wouldn’t want to stress it out more but unsure if there is any benefit to removing what’s died View attachment 25662View attachment 25663
Hot damn! I had the same experience with my frogspawn stinging a couple of polyps on my acan :(

The sting had left some brown goop that came right off with a turkey baster. Rest of the polyps look ok though, leaving a small area of exposed skeleton where the goop used to be.

"acans" (i.e. micromussa lords) really don't have a terribly powerful "gut barfing" skill set, sure they will kill sps that falls into it no problem, but against other LPS they really aren't high on that scale... now acan echinata... they'll outsting aiptasia!

Back