Neptune Aquatics

Aiptasia

I just learned that I have an Aiptasia problem. I can only see one - what should I do at this point? I read that a peppermint shrimp can help? Would that be enough to prevent more problems, or is there a better solution?

If you are talking about the 1 Aiptasia you showed in the other thread on your glass, you should razor blade it off since that works better on glass than anything else. Don’t leave any tissue behind. None.

F-Aiptasia works well on horizontal surfaces but not as well on vertical. If you see 1 Aiptasia (not on a plug you just got) then you likely have more hiding.

Direct injection of vinegar into the body of the Aiptasia with an insulin syringe and needle also works well (best of direct treatment options in my opinion). Downside is that it also acts as carbon dosing so you shouldn’t use much in a small tank, I’d recommend not more than 1 ml per 10g per day. Regular 5% white vinegar from the grocery store.

Biological controls include peppermint shrimp and Berghia, both of which can be good and neither of which is a 100% guarantee.

If you are talking about the 1 Aiptasia you showed in the other thread on your glass, you should razor blade it off since that works better on glass than anything else. Don’t leave any tissue behind. None.

F-Aiptasia works well on horizontal surfaces but not as well on vertical. If you see 1 Aiptasia (not on a plug you just got) then you likely have more hiding.

Direct injection of vinegar into the body of the Aiptasia with an insulin syringe and needle also works well (best of direct treatment options in my opinion). Downside is that it also acts as carbon dosing so you shouldn’t use much in a small tank, I’d recommend not more than 1 ml per 10g per day. Regular 5% white vinegar from the grocery store.

Biological controls include peppermint shrimp and Berghia, both of which can be good and neither of which is a 100% guarantee.
Do I just pull it out after I razor blade it off?

How old is the tank?
if you’re in the first month or so, I recommend you dry out the rock and the tank
if there is one, most likely there are more
and ultimately it will be an uphill battle in the future
like cockroache, there’s never only one

Don’t get me started with “cycling”...
But I would make sure that there is no possible way any evil pests live!
Once they’re in...you will forever be looking over your shoulder

Seriously, if you have only one .. take the entire rock out and nuke it in the sunshine for a month. Trying to nuke it with anything may just explode it into thousands. Trust me.

V

It went badly - I scraped him off but couldn’t suck him up with the siphon tube - he blew under a rock. Much worse situation now?
Yes. The tiniest part of tissue can become a new anemone on its own. If you pull it out and don't see any more over the next few months, you're probably clear.

If you bleach the rocks and start over with your cycle, you definitely won't have them but it's going to set you back a few months on tank maturity.

Back