Kessil

Am I reading this right?

DDA3A3F9-E74B-4861-98FF-0FEA4CBC2CC6.png
I have been trying to increase my magnesium level for about a week now dosing 10ml/day with Bionic magnesium.

I found this cool tool that does the estimate, but wanted to check if anyone notice anything out of the ordinary.

C12F93A2-1DCB-462D-97CF-1C69EBC4FB71.jpeg

salinity is 1.026.

Comparison to how much it would take to reach Alk levels that I want. Such a huge difference between increasing Alk and Mag.

View attachment 31968

salinity is 1.026.

Comparison to how much it would take to reach Alk levels that I want. Such a huge difference between increasing Alk and Mag.
You entered your Alk values in the Ca section. Be more careful with these things!

Mg is the 3rd highest concentration salt in our water (behind chloride and sodium), so increasing it will require a lot of additive; this makes sense. Alk is a much smaller concentration so small changes make a big difference.

You entered your Alk values in the Ca section. Be more careful with these things!

Mg is the 3rd highest concentration salt in our water (behind chloride and sodium), so increasing it will require a lot of additive; this makes sense. Alk is a much smaller concentration so small changes make a big difference.
Damn! good catch - i totally missed that

doesn't really matter for the Mg calculation though. those 3 are independent calculators.

BUT it will take several cups to lift Mg... so I would say about right. @fishy408 you can dose half, test, and then decide on the remaining.

For frame of reference, I use RFH's DIY recipe... takes 2 - 3 cups at least to raise about 50 ppm in a 80G volume, sometimes more...

FF4FFC1B-D261-4648-98D9-1ECE0A464EDE.jpeg

Notice the Salifert Magnesium test kit was expired, wasn’t sure if it may be bad. Made a quick run to Neptune’s and got a new test kit and reran 3 tests.

Expired Salifert 1140
New Salifert 1350
Red Sea 1400

I did read that Red Sea Mag test higher than Salifert. I guess when in doubt, buy a new test kit?

oh, oops.. thanks! definitely need to pay closer attention.

View attachment 31970

Notice the Salifert Magnesium test kit was expired, wasn’t sure if it may be bad. Made a quick run to Neptune’s and got a new test kit and reran 3 tests.

Expired Salifert 1140
New Salifert 1350
Red Sea 1400

I did read that Red Sea Mag test higher than Salifert. I guess when in doubt, buy a new test kit?
I've never been able to get the end point correct on Red Sea test kits :/
Confirmed with Salifert and Hanna multiple times - my RedSea readings are always different with the same sample over multiple iterations.

View attachment 31970

Expired Salifert 1140
New Salifert 1350
Red Sea 1400

I’m glad you double-checked and didn’t add the 2 liters of Mg! Your level is good after all.

The difference between the Red Sea and new Salifert are within the error of Mg testing kits I believe, so no worries there.

Back