got ethical husbandry?

Any other vinyl collectors in the house?

Ive only played with software mixing apps a little and didnt get into it. I couldnt beat match with a mouse heh. I know there are USB controllers that you can attach with nice jog dials and such, but I havent had the opportunity to try them. The physical interface is important to me in terms of ease of mixing. I know with most lower end CD mixers, the interface is so bad that basic mixing such as beat matching is very difficult if not impossible.

Ive seen software or mixers that either auto beat match or auto adjust the tempo of each song so they are the same, but this is where I draw the line and say..Thats Cheating! hehe

Gresham-Do you use or recommend a good USB controller that work well with these mixing apps?

I've always been a Rane guy (mixer). The make Serato and IIRC they have ones to control both Serato and Traktor.

I use the Audi Kontrol but I do not currently have my decks running into it (I beat match using Traktor's controls). Everyone I know uses real 1200's with "control" vinyl.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=4189.msg50400#msg50400 date=1217358970]
My first question to anyone who says things (both pro digical and pro analog) is : what system and material did you listen to?

Before reefing, I was a hardcore audio guy. I was highly active in DIY audio and got to listen to some amazing equipment and material.
This gave me an interesting perspective on a lot of things audio. One thing is certain, when your gear gets to a certain level, you can really hear how good or shitty the source material is. Many systems smear this out and attribute this to sounding better (not hearing the junk sounds better :p)

I am currently running a digital setup because it was a more logical path for my constraints. I've heard some amazing systems on both ends. I'm not sure what I like more. I want to try some "better" stuff, but I can't get there yet because to take me to the next level would require a major investment jump :(
[/quote]

Your talking an entirely different audio world. Mixing (Djing) only goes so far in terms of it's "upper" end. I use reference monitors and a decent amp.

Now if your talking the audio your talking about, for speakers NHT have been a fav of mine for a while now (for upper mid level).

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=4189.msg50404#msg50404 date=1217362525]
I've always been a Rane guy (mixer). The make Serato and IIRC they have ones to control both Serato and Traktor.

I use the Audi Kontrol but I do not currently have my decks running into it (I beat match using Traktor's controls). Everyone I know uses real 1200's with "control" vinyl.
[/quote]

Didnt know you can use 1200s as a controller. Just shows how out of the loop Ive been with this world for a while. Funny, I sold my 1200s..actually 1210s (The black ones) a while back to convert to Pioneers for CDs. So if I want to do it right, I need to buy them back to use as just a controller heh.

You could use one of the controllers on the market (jog wheel driven) but I can't recommend any.

I was just blown away by how good my friends are at using digital now. Simply amazing I must say. It's not every day I actually sit and watch some one mix but several of my friends where just all over the place musically so I had to sit and stare :D

The bottom line is how was it recorded, not necessarily what media you are playing it on. The analog vs. digi really comes across in the studio, NOTHING beats 2" tape and a tube compressor, sorry. If you feel otherwise you've never done serious recording. Straight off the tape and into reference monitors give the most natural sound, you can hear the harmonics good or bad, which is what gives the recording life. Start with digi, mix digi, and bounce to digi, and you end up with crap. Start analog, mix digi, and bounce back to analog, and burn, you can get a decent recording that way with out an LP. Don't get me wrong though, my old Derrick Harriot, and Eugene McDaniels, sound awesome on LP.

Man you've got more opinions then me :(

I do have to say music genera makes the difference in how the recoding should be done. I'm 80% electronic based in terms of what I listen to so in that regards tape isn't the best option all the time (although it's insane )

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=4189.msg50422#msg50422 date=1217379089]
The bottom line is how was it recorded, not necessarily what media you are playing it on.
[/quote]

absolutely disagree :-D but this is from a hi-fi audio junky. It really depends on how reveling your system is, and if you care about that. that said, I don't think I have ever seen a hi-fi turntable setup :p

Oh I have. You've never seen glass tables run thru a Mcintosh tube amp?

rephrase. I've seen TONS of hi-fi LP setups. Im talking about hi fi DJ/discjocky/mixer/scratcher etc stuff.

In fact, for a while I was in the market for a high end LP audio setup...just lacked the funds :p

I've seen some ultra high end mixer (10-20K) on glass tables with analogue gear. That was in the UK though, none here.

Back